You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:20 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: lunch - protein ideas
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:51 pm 

my 17 month old daughter gets hives from dairy and eggs and we are still waiting to see exactly what we're dealing with. in the meantime, we don't give her either, so i find lunches can be a bit tough. she eats meat, chickpeas and other beans (no lentils), but i still struggle to give her variety and ensure she's getting protein (meat based or otherwise). oh to be able to give her a cheese sandwich, yogurt or an egg...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:34 pm 

Lunches are sometimes hard for us too but I stopped worrying about protein awhile ago. I just find it hard to serve her a variety of food at times. If your daughter is drinking soy milk or soy formula, eating meat and enriched bread and other healthy grains she is likely getting enough protein. We don't worry about eating "traditional" lunch foods all the time. Pancakes are a great lunch. I freeze serving sized spaghetti meat sauce for quick lunches too. I make big batches of soup and then freeze serving sized portions. Turboz cereal is an easy way to give a protein boost too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:45 pm 
Site Admin

At that age, I used to give my daughter leftovers from supper. Noodles with meat sauce (look for egg-free noodles or use rice noodles), a chicken drumstick and some potato cubes, how about a tuna fish sandwhich (Earth Island makes a great eggless mayo called Veganaise)?

Once you find a few substitutes lunches get a lot easier. Now I getthe same complaint my girlfriend gets, "What? Not sandwhiches again!".

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:28 pm 

Hi Jorae

I don't know if this will help but since I am allergic to peanuts, and tree nuts I have not had peanut butter. I just found a substitute that I can have, I know there is more than one company that makes this product but this is one that I can have since they are peanut, tree nut, gluten and dairy free it may be good for your family or others.

www.soynutbutter.com

I bought all four kinds of peabutter and love three of them the chocolate I like but wanted a more chocolate taste, it has a very vanilla taste.
Hope this can help :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:57 pm 
Site Admin

You can ramp up the protein content of muffins etc., by using soy milk inplace of water when baking. You can also make veggie dips using silken tofu.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:33 am 

Some more high-protein foods:

Avocado can be mashed onto a sandwich or made into a dip (kids love to dip things!)
Quinoa is very high-protein and can be eaten like rice
Maybe find a good pureed soup recipe, you can hide all kinds of things in one of those
"Peanut" butter made from hemp or pea protein

Misc (pollen, grass, mold, dogs, cats)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:54 pm 

jorae wrote:
my 17 month old daughter gets hives from dairy and eggs and we are still waiting to see exactly what we're dealing with. in the meantime, we don't give her either, so i find lunches can be a bit tough. she eats meat, chickpeas and other beans (no lentils), but i still struggle to give her variety and ensure she's getting protein (meat based or otherwise). oh to be able to give her a cheese sandwich, yogurt or an egg...

hello everyone,
I was going to suggest hemp butter, then I saw someone kind of did that. But you can also buy hemp protein and add it to casseroles, pancakes, smoothies or what ever else you like. It is a great source of omega 3 essential fatty acids, not related to the nut family and has been gaining in popularity lately.

I like to make pancakes with gluten free flours, then use those as my "bread" for the day. You can brew a batch, freeze with wax paper between, then you can use them when you need them. Hope that helps!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:13 am 

Golden NoNuts Peabutter is great and is a Canadian product. Available at Safeway, Sobey's, Loblaws, Dominion, etc.

Peanut, treenut, gluten, egg & transfat free.

http://www.peabutter.ca/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:20 pm 
Site Admin

We like Sunbutter. It's made from sun flower seeds and is peanut and tree nut free.
http://sunbutter.com/