You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:24 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:01 am 

If anyone else with corn allergy is having trouble with fish and seafood, here is a site that lists many corn derived additives that are allowed on fish:

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/ani ... pp1e.shtml

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:36 pm 

Some corn allergic people are reporting reactions to "ethylene gassed potatoes". Potatoes are now being gassed with ethylene to keep them from sprouting over the winter. Use only "newish" looking potatoes that have lighter coloured, thinner skins. You often see them in the bulk bins.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:49 pm 

Corn-based film foils food-poisoning bugs. Please read the posts from some corn allergic people at the bottom of the site:

http://www.newscientist.com/channel/hea ... -bugs.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:02 am 

I recently discovered the hard way that not all "unenriched" goat's milk is safe for people with corn allergy. A couple of weeks ago my usual brand of goat's milk was not available so I tried another brand that claimed to be "pure" goat's milk. I had a horrible skin reaction. Beware...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:55 am 

Oh Eldi that sucks!

Can you PM me the brand so I side step it please? I have a lot of different lines available here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:57 pm 

thank you all for the info...affirms my reality.
I react to seafood--esp. shrimp (citric acid--they should have to put it on the ingredients label!!!) I have been eating local GRASS-FED organic meat, seem to be okay with that.

I react to potatoes, but I bought some organic Yukon Golds the other day, but I was allergic to the mold--big trouble for me when I peel them, it bothers my lungs--sometimes my mold allergy feels like corn allergy (complex but most noticably itchy dematitis on part of my scalp and a "bum" rash , but perhaps it is both corn and mold.
DO ORGANIC FRUITS AND VEGGIES HAVE ETHYLENE GAS ON THEM?????
I have the same problem with carrots--sometimes I can smell the mold on them, but could there be corn on them???? Oranges bother me a lot too.

I notice that I really react to vitamin D3 in dairy products--think it has corn oil in it.-- i thought that was why my morning coffee was bothering me---now I just found a non-fortified milk but I still reacted to my organic coffee a little (not as much)---perhaps it's the additives!!!!

Honey is a big problem, bees are often fed corn sugar in the winter months.
Xylitol is derived from corn cobs.
I also eat gluten free and XANTHAM GUM is grown on corn sugar as well---although they will tell you it is corn free!!! Guar gum is safe as far as I know.

Most bread yeasts are grown on corn sugar--and some have ascorbic acid and or cornstarch added.

I also recently found out that SPROUTS are often coated with CITRIC ACID to help them sprout better and faster!!!! (it just never ends...)

I am trying to boost my immune system and kill yeast and heal my intestines from permeability (from celiac and candidiasis) that leads to these food allergies in the first place, but I am trying to find out if the probiotic cultures (acidolphilus, etc) are grown on corn sugars....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:31 pm 

I am allergic to Mold too. I smell it and then won't eat the food item. If I do, I regret it physically.

Unfortunately, Organic fruits spoil so quickly that avoiding mold is tough. I usually have to eat them within a day of purchase.

Baby carrots are COATED in Corn. They are washed and bagged in Corn. Baby carrots are EVIL. I have no problems with standard carrots though as long as they aren't too old.

Most Milk has Corn in it. There are some Organic Milk's that don't though. You have to read the label really carefully. Corn is a standard additive.

I don't know if my Soy (sprout) reactions are due to being allergic to Corn or Soy. My Soy allergy is more questionable than my Corn allergy, but since they are usually in all the same products I can't figure out if I am just allergic to Corn or both.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:29 pm 

Shell...from my experience, even organic produce is treated with some of the corn derived "organic" acids. Some people actually do better with "non" organic produce than with the organic. As for potatoes, I do really well with "new crop" potatoes...they haven't had a chance to develop any molds yet...AND...they haven't been gassed with ethylene gas. Wash them really well with baking soda (rub it over the skins) first and then peel them. Carrots can be a problem...most likely sprayed with citric acid. I grow my own carrots now and they keep all winter in my spare fridge. I have no trouble with the honey I get from a local apiary (the bees are not near any corn fields and no corn syrup is fed to them in the winter months). Ask at your farmers market about safe honey. Oranges are sometimes coated with a corn derived wax. I haven't had fish (or seafood) in years because it is all (fresh/frozen) sprayed with something corny to keep it fresh. Even canned fish has been treated. I got desperate and tried some canned sardines about a year ago...BAD reaction. I can't even eat something disgusting without a reaction...LOL

P.S. I've had some really nasty reactions to coffee...even organic. I've read that corn dextrins are used to polish the beans.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:01 pm 

Eldi we need to get you out to my place for a vacation! We do lobster as in buying alive, taking them through the freshwater rinse and going from there to on your plate. :wink:

Coffee is not a happy place for me either. If I am having it then I know I am into the Benydryl.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:47 pm 

I had to laugh when I read your comment about the live lobster. I've often walked by the live lobster/crab case at our grocery store thinking..."I bet I would do ok with eating fresh lobster...but....geezzzzz.....I'd have to kill it to EAT it!" LOL I'm afraid that I don't miss seafood that much!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:36 pm 

Eldi wrote:
I had to laugh when I read your comment about the live lobster. I've often walked by the live lobster/crab case at our grocery store thinking..."I bet I would do ok with eating fresh lobster...but....geezzzzz.....I'd have to kill it to EAT it!" LOL I'm afraid that I don't miss seafood that much!

Yep! Probably would be... But I don't kill it. He does! hehehehehe

We like it enough to do it... It is a MUST have around here. Not often but sometimes we need a change so we do it a couple times a year. I miss living in PEI because it was more available there though.

The tough part is declining the frozen ones. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:01 am 

I react to so many fish now I don't know if I suddenly have food allergies or I am reacting to one of my other food allergies when I try to eat fish.

For example: I can have one brand of Trout, but not another. I can have jellyfish, seaweed, squid, and octopus with no issues.

I used to be able to have Cod and Sole, but no longer. When I was a kid all I ate was Tuna. Now I can't touch the stuff.

Salmon and shrimp have never been safe. Shrimp did register on the skin prick test as my strongest food allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:40 am 

I wouldn't go there then... For me I have always done better with shell fish over regular fish... and always fresh that I kill and prep myself over other...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:41 am 

I wouldn't go there then... For me I have always done better with shell fish over regular fish... and always fresh that I kill and prep myself over other...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:52 am 

I have only had fresh lobster once. I don't remember if I got sick. This was over 16 years ago.

I don't know if I have had fresh fish in general. The closest is Sushi. :roll:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next