You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:06 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Calcium Supplements
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:26 pm 

Does anyone give their child a calcium supplement other than Caltrate Soft Chews? I have tried the chocolate and vanilla flavours but my daughter doesn't like either of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:10 pm 
Site Admin

Our daughter drinks so much soy milk (we water it down to limit it to 1 litre a day :roll: ), that and the fact that her favourite vegetable is broccolli. Our Nutritionist felt that she is recieving adequate calcium. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:56 pm 

I recently found out that blackstrap molasses has quite a lot of calcium in it as well as other nutrients. (I looked up the info. on http://www.nutritiondata.com) I forget the exact amount...but it seems to me that 1 tbsp has around 20% of one's daily recommended allowance of calcium. It has to be specifically blackstrap molasses, though--regular molasses doesn't have nearly as much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:31 am 

I bought the Caltrate soft chews for my son and daughter and both did not care for them. My son is allergic to milk but I think meets his calcium needs drinking So Good. My daughter gets a stomach ache drinking milk but can tolerate yogurt, cheese, etc so I guess she is intolerent of milk. My daughter does not like Soy milk. She does not meet her calcium needs so I need to find a supplement for her. She has also tried Mega Cal Calcium (60 Swiss Milk Chocolate Soft Chews) and does not like that either. I am not sure if it has milk in it or not (the Mega Cal Calcium) so I would not give that one to my milk allergic son. I will start looking again for a supplement so if I am successful I will let you know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:21 pm 

I use one from the brand SISU and it's sold at Loblaws. It's a liquid and has 3 flavors: strawberry, vanilla and mint. I checked with the company and it has no milk, eggs, fish, shellfish. You could try that one see if she likes it.

Mylène

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:23 pm 

bev, just from reading your post I'm wondering whether your daughter could be lactose intolerant. i know a few people who are---milk is bad news for them (unless it is lactose free milk (which contains an enzyme which breaks down the lactose)), but yogurt and cheese have less lactose so they are more easily tolerated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:24 pm 

Yeah Lisa, I think she is lactose intolerant. I don't think you can be tested for that? I am assuming it is diagnosed by your symptoms. I have never gone to the doctor about it but just came to the conclusion myself. Thanks Mylene, I may look for that one. She does have yogurt/cheese and orange juice with calcium daily but I am sure she is not meeting her total calcium requirements. One supplement for her daily would do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:46 am 

actually, you can be tested for lactose intolerance... but it's not fun (I'll spare you the details...), so if you try the lactose free things and she can have it, it's intolerance ;).

Mylène

Post subject: Calcium Supplements
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:09 pm 

Thank you for replying to my message. I will try the SISU supplement that is available at Loblaws. Hopefully my daughter will like one of the three flavours.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:08 pm 

We use a liquid calcium supplement available through London Drugs. It's a no name brand but the flavour is pretty good. I have also heard of parents using Tums although I haven't tried this

Post subject: looking for vitamins
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:13 am 

severe soy, egg, and dairy allergy. Looking for vitamin supplements to support weak teeth,etc. Any product suggestions for my 2 sons...please..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:24 am 

Contact SISU about their liquid calcium (Calcium, Magnesium & Vitamin D Liquid) - they are Canadian and very good about replying to customer queries.

http://www.sisu.com/sisu/products/produ ... =301&id=53 has a picture and description.

If you send them an email asking to confirm that none of your allergens are in the product, I am sure they will reply quickly.

My son loves the mint flavour liquid, and I like it too.

We have also tried the vanilla, which smells and tastes a bit like marshmallows. Not my favourite but okay.

Have not tried the strawberry.

We find it in the organic section of our Loblaws, and I'm sure most health food stores would carry it.

Costs a bit of a bomb ($17 a bottle) but I figure it's worth it.

Oops - just noticed that you are in the US. Ask them if they are available in the US as well!

K.

Last edited by KarenOASG on Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:25 am 

girlmedic wrote:
I have also heard of parents using Tums although I haven't tried this

Just for those reading old posts: my understanding is that products like Tums are not recommended since their first-line use is not to be a calcium supplement but to treat acid indigestion, and it can muck up an otherwise healthy stomach to take these on a regular basis when you don't need to.

K.

Post subject: SISU note
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:59 am 

Thank you for the vitamin suggestion...unfortunately, according to a SISU service rep., their calcium products do contain soybean oil, and we can't use them .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:31 pm 

My children love L'il Critters Groocy Calcium Gummy Bears and they contain vitamin D. I love the taste as well, they are like little treats.

I found them at Walmart.

daughter allergic to dairy,eggs,peanuts, soy, intolerance for potatoes, whole wheat