You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:28 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: allergies and aspergers
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:48 pm 

Hi! Is there anyone else who is going through this?? My little girl is now going through testing to see if she has aspergers syndrome. Apparently, a lot of these kids have multiple allergies. Ugh. :(

AR - allergic to peanuts, hazelnuts, tree nuts, raw milk, eggs, peas, legumes, sunflower seeds, sulphites, food colourings (some), mushrooms, honey, shellfish, dogs, cats, birds, licorice, pedialight, strawberries, kiwi.
husband - asthma
me- dust mites

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:32 am 

We are not dealing with it personally, but I do know of some families who have children with Aspergers or autism and MFAs.

In our local support group, there are 112 families with about 123 kids, most of whom have multiple food allergies, and there is only one family dealing with autism. So it does not seem like there is a huge percentage of kids with MFAs that also have autism/Aspergers - but I could be wrong. I did a bit of googling and get the feeling autism/Aspergers and food allergies is a very large topic of discussion!!

I hope that you are able to get a diagnosis. At least knowing what is going on is better than not.

Big hugs...

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm 

Hi Rachel,
We are also dealing with an allergies/aspergers combo for both of our sons. And it sure can be a challenge!

As I've been researching Aspergers in the past several months, I've seen lots of mention of food allergies/sensitivities as often existing in individuals with aspergers/autism, as well as many claims that aspergers/autism can be helped or even cured by eliminating certain foods from one's diet. I'm sceptical about the latter...the hard science just isn't in yet (large double blind, placebo controlled study), but within the next few years hopefully there will be more reliable info. There does seem to be an awful lot of kids on the autism spectrum, who also have allergies, but I don't have any statistics on that?

And yes Karen, allergies/autism/gfcf diets/vaccinations etc. etc. are real hot button topics. So much conflicting advice, so many parents desperate for answers, so many impassioned people entrenched on either side...really hard to navigate all of it. :? And I thought whether or not to ban peanuts was a controversial issue! :roll: :lol:

Good luck Rachael. You will feel better when you have a diagnosis (or not!). Like Karen said, knowing is so much better than wondering and worrying. Feel free to PM me if you'd like.

Both with many environmental allergies, asthma and eczema

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:12 am 

this is just my feeling, and I have not been able to find any research to back it up, and I am not a medical professional, but I feel that autism and allergies and diabetes (Type 1 that is not related to lifestyle) are all immune system related and that is why they are all increasing in child populations at the same rate.

Allergies and diabetes (type 1) are immune related, and there has been quite a bit of research lately that says that there is an immune link with autism.

We should ask an immunologist if there is any concrete proof that these conditions are related.

Just by the number of kids that have allergies (at least 2 percent of kids with life threatening allergies, lots with allergies) now and that have autism (1 in 156) now, there is going to be a lot of duo-diagnosis. I saw a piece on the news that by 2012 1 in 7 kids will be on the autism spectrum. Type 1 diabetes is increasing 10% a year in kids.

I wonder a lot what is happening to kids. It scares me to think of it. I sometimes feel like the mother of the canary in the coal mine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:37 am 

aaronsmom wrote:
I wonder a lot what is happening to kids. It scares me to think of it. I sometimes feel like the mother of the canary in the coal mine.

I agree with you on this one, Pam. It is scary.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:13 pm 

Hi

How did you make out with the Asperger's testing? Our 9 year old son has had anaphylactic allergies to peanuts and tree nuts since he was 3 and we just found out he also has Asperger's. We thought he was anxious a lot due to the fact that 1/100th of a peanut could kill him and that we had been over protective. We had no clue there was another issue at play. All new to us. If you have any tips we would appreciate them. Thank you.