You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:37 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: who to turn to?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:44 pm 

my 17 month old daughter developed hives when we were introducing goats yogurt to her at one year. since then, she has also reacted from contact to dairy. she has been tested by an allergist and dairy didn't even register as a problem on his test, so it doesn't make me very confident in the rest of his results either - which show very little to be concerned about (in his words). we also had some blood tests done with a naturopath (more for igg) which showed absolutely no reactions to any of the 95 foods they test for. we have seen the hives, we know there is a problem, but can't seem to pin point it. any suggestions would be great. we are requesting a 2nd opinion from another allergist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:57 am 

All I can say is, don't give up. Your parental instincts are strong and hopefully the second allergist will have some answers for you. The gold standard test is the oral challenge - so if she is consuming the food and reacting, that is the most important part of the puzzle. This is why the history is so important to most allergists. The history, combined with blood tests and skin tests, help them to figure out what is going on. But to say there is nothing to worry about given her history - that does not make sense to me.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:00 am 

Hi Jorae

I don't know if this can be of any help but about five years ago my son (who had no allergies) was five he broke out in head to toe hives, looked like a burn victim. Now since I have severe allergies I just wanted to find out what was the cause. Only problem I could not find rhyme or reason. The first trip to the GP they had asked me if he had been sick lately, honestly I was just thinking Who cares he is allergic to something and we need to find out what it is. His hives were so bad and since I know how they feel, I found it hard to see him so uncomfortable. I was up at night to check his body for hives they came and went without reason. Any ways to shorten this story It lasted for about nine months, benadryl everyday, two allergists (full skin tests, no positive) and much stress. The GP in the beginning asking if my son had been sick was the connection, we all believe he had a virus!! It has been so many years since then never has he had any hives again! It took me about seven months of the hives to believe it was not an allergy. It also took me many months to believe I would never see more hives. I never feel 100% secure since we all live an allergic life. (he would never eat peanut butter, none in house, and has never gotten use to the taste)

I hope you get some answers very soon. :)