You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:51 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:26 pm 

Recently, while doing my ingredient calls, I was told to stay away from - soy - as this would be dangerous to anyone with a shellfish/crustacean allergy - especially an anaphylactic. This is the first I have heard of this. Has anyone else been told something similar? Thought I'd check with all of you before I bother my allergist, who does not really take calls without an appt.

Bye, susieQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:42 am 

was that a company that told you that???? Call your allergist. In all the years I've been around allergies, this is a first for me, and I had the anaphylaxis to shellfish on my list. Let us know what you find out...

Mylène

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:25 am 

Hi Mylene, yes, it was a company quality control clerk that told me that. She apparently is fully aware of most aspects of anaphylaxis. Part of her job she said. While we were going over the ingred list of a particular product(s) she made the comment that went something like this - and of course you avoid soy. I said, surprised, Soy? She answered well yes, soy can trigger a reaction and is especially dangerous in an anaphylactic. Told her that was the first time I had heard that one.

It is not so easy to call my allergist. I had to switch allergists because my previous one was annoyed that I had made an appt to see him within a week of his diagnosis of my anaphylaxis to shellfish/crustaceans. I had so so so many questions for him as all he did that day was drop the bombshell in my lap and say avoid seafood like the plague. Here is a couple of info sheets. See you in one year. Not much help. So I made an appt for a week later(got that early appt only because I had just seen him). His reaction was - why would I call you back in only a week after your tests? I informed him I made the appt myself and he became quite annoyed. When I explained I had questions he very rudely said - fire away with your questions. I only got a few questons out (how vigilant must I be etc.) and he very rudely responded in crisp sharp tongue to avoid, and use my own judgement and do my research, then marched out of the room saying I'll see you in a years time. That was it.

Switched doctors(unfortunately she shares the waiting room with my past allergist), but although she is much better,I cannot just call and ask questions. Must make an appt. and as there are only a couple of allergist in the city, it takes a while for the appt. I have read on numerous web sites including Anaphylaxis Canada to keep in touch with your allergist, or discuss frequently with your allergist or call your allergist- and I just go HA! - mine is not that readily available.

But if I do manage to get an answer from my allergist I will let you know what I have found out about the comment on the Soy and possible reaction.
Bye, susieQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:13 pm 

Sounds to me like the person from the company was just saying that soy is a common allergy (if he/she was just saying that soy can be dangerous to someone who is anaphylactic).

I can understand why an allergist in an area where there is a shortage of doctors might not have time to answer lots of questions but the reaction you got is inexcusable. It is odd that the doctor should have gotten upset that you had made another appt.

Last edited by Helen on Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:18 pm 

From what you said, it sounds like the person at the company answered like most people to whom I tell about my allergy to fish: "so we can't eat peanuts around you then?"... I still haven't figured out how people can link fish and peanuts... But everyone I talk to about my anaphylaxis to fish don't expect me to eat peanuts and I've been asked that question many many times... but I eat peanut butter like any normal people and freak out everyone that know about my allergy to fish and associated it to peanuts on their own :roll: ... I started to warn people at work that I am NOT allergic to peanuts just to prevent them from thinking that because I eat peanut butter that I am no longer allergic to fish!!!! :roll:

Well, I don't think we have to worry about the soy and shellfish...

Mylène