You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:28 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: GMO's and Food Allergies
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:30 pm 

This is a good brief explanation of the link between Genetically Modified Organisms and food allergies....

Allergies:

Increased Food Allergies

The loss of biodiversity in our food supply has grown in parallel with the increase in food allergies. This can be explained as follows. The human body is not a machine-like "something" that can be fed assembly line, carbon copy foods. We eat for
nourishment and vitality. What is alive interacts or changes with its environment.

Unnatural sameness - required for patenting of genetic foods - are "dead" qualities. Frequently foods we eat and crave are precisely those testing positive for food allergies. Cells in our body recognize this lack of vitality, producing antibodies and white cells in response. This is analogous to our brain's cells recognizing and rejecting mechanically repeated thoughts - or thinking "like a broken record." Intuitively our body cells and the overall immune system seems to reject excess homogeneity.

For the entire article, here is a link:

http://www.cqs.com/50harm.htm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:46 am 

Here is a link about biotech corn that has been linked to allergies--especially anaphalaxis:

http://www.foe.org/biopharm/csaprotinin.pdf

and here is an older (but good) article on GM corn that was not fit for human consumption (as if any is!) but got into our food supply and caused food allergies:

http://www.isb.vt.edu/news/2001/news01.jul.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:50 pm 

As far as GMO's, truly organic companies want to avoid them. In fact, they are not allowed to have them and be labeled organic, (Oregon Tilth is the best, and Organic Comsumers Association) but the problem with say, citric acid is that they can get away with using GMO corn citric acid, but since the processing "removes" the corn, they can say that is is corn and therefore GMO free, but that is BOGUS and I think if pressure was put on companies, they would stop using stuff like that, but as long as they get away with it and think it is ok, they will. For instance, I called a company about a bottled drink that boasts being organic, but the citric acid was GMO corn, but the guy said that it was fine because the corn is processed out. Even the big health food co-op nearby me says that they are GMO free, but the store is loaded with citric acid, etc.

Dr Bronner's uses tapioca based citric acid because they didn't want to use any corn at all because of the chance of it being GMO.
Muir Glen "Organic" tomatoes has "naturally-derived citric acid" on their label, but they would not tell me where or what it came from.

So what I am trying to say is tjat exerting pressure on companies to remain truly organic will result in less corn because they will not use it because of the chance that corn is tainted---because cross contamination is on the rise. Ancient indian corn was just found to be tainted by GMO.