You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:00 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:35 pm 

Sorry I haven't been on these forums in a while - I was busy being pregnant and having another baby - Amanda, born at home (HBAC) on May 31, joining her sister Kate, now 2-1/2 and allergic to dairy, eggs, all nuts, sesame and dust mites. Already Amanda seems sensitive to dairy at least - I'm nursing and had dairy two days in a row and the second time she vomited (not just spit up, which she rarely has), when she was 2 weeks old, very similar to what Kate used to do (and which our pediatrician deemed "normal" even though I never saw other moms' babies puke that much). So no dairy for me (we don't keep it in the house anyway, since Kate's allergic).

Anyway, to my question - about a month ago I got a survey for parents of peanut allergic children from Anaphylaxis Canada, I believe, and I just had time to complete it. There were 2 questions asking whether I was Rh neg or positive (I'm negative) and whether I'd received the Rhogam shot while I was pregnant with Kate (I did).

I've never heard anywhere that Rh factor or the rhogam shot had anything to do with the fetus developing allergies - any idea why they asked?

I didn't have the Rhogam shot with #2 until after the birth.

Any info greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance,
Kendra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:30 am 
Site Admin

Congratulations on your baby!!
About the dairy allergy, our daughter hardly ever vomitted but my girlfriends baby (no allergies) was the Spit-Up Queen. They ended up buying a carpet steamer to deal with it. :oops:

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:32 am 

Kendra,

Interesting thought!! I am Rh negative and allergic to nuts and fresh fruit. I had the Rhogam shot with all three pregnancies. None of my children are allergic to anything, but my oldest outgrew allergies to egg, milk and sesame seeds by the time she was three. I would say all my kids tend to be atopic though, all having had bouts of hives at some point or other. Often we havn't known what to. Once was to excessive mosquito bites, once to a new sweater, and whatever chemical was sprayed on it. It will be interesting to see where the scientists go with this.

Soccermom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:07 pm 

From the sounds of it, ( at least how I"m interpreting it ) it seems like they are just trying to find links to what may be causing the increase in peanut allergic children....to see if there are any common factors in prenatal care....perhaps :)

http://www.anaphylaxis.ca/content/progr ... search.asp

Quote:
What are the prenatal and early life factors that contribute to the development of peanut allergy.
(Posted June 18, 2008)

Mothers, do you have a peanut allergic child?

We are requesting your help to determine what factors during pregnancy and early life might contribute to the development of peanut allergy. We hope that in the future this will help inform the prevention of this increasingly common condition.

Jen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:17 am 

I agree with Jen. It sounds like they are researching to find any common links they can. Sometimes it does help.

Years ago, I noticed there seemed to be a lot of multiple births with one or more of the children being pa. I actually asked about it on a forum I was on. It turned out that many of those moms had gone through infertility treatments. Some looked a bit deeper into it, and apparently, the shot they give women for infertility treatments used to have peanut oil. The shot no longer has that oil, and the incidence of pa in multiple births is no longer as noticably higher.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:12 pm 

Thanks all for your replies - it seems like looking for a needle in a haystack, trying to figure out the "missing link" causing the increased incidence of allergies. I thought Rhogam had been around for a while, long before the current "epidemic", but maybe the formulation changed, etc.

Now I'm reading all about vaccines (Robert Sears' Vaccine Book) trying to figure out what/how to give to baby Amanda!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:36 pm 

I 've responded to that research. I have received the Rhogam shots in my pregnancy and my 5 year old is allergic to peanuts,nuts and fish. My 2 year old has not been introduced to those food yet. It would be interesting to see results from the research...