Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:33 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:14 pm 
Site Admin

Hmmm, I wonder if you could cut the soap on a meat slicer?

I recognise how lucky we are to not have this particular allergy.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:03 pm 

_Susan_ wrote:
Hmmm, I wonder if you could cut the soap on a meat slicer?

I recognise how lucky we are to not have this particular allergy.

Only glycerin based ones work for that and they need to be thicker pieces still... sort of the thickness of thin sliced bologna. *blush* We are NOT telling my friends hubby that she and I tried this with his meat slicer. :twisted:

Honestly... thin sliced, julienne style almost like if you were using the thick shredded side for the cheese grater and took two pieces and stuck them together seems to work.

To be honest I have tried everything I could to make things easier... The pieces I carry around are approximately 2 mm x 15 mm x 4 mm. It seems like nothing when you look at it but there is always enough for myself and the little one to use and some left over that we throw out.

It is much less complicated than trying to carry around larger bars...

You could probably even use a cute metal tin as it wouldn't get wet so it should be ok... Something about the size of an altoids container would work. And completely purse free person friendly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:28 am 
Site Admin

Could you grate up some soap and mix it with enough water or whatever to create your own soft soap?
You could get a flip-top container to carry it with you and not waste too much.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:08 pm 

WOW, thanks for the great idea about the soap slivers---this will be much more economical too!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:55 pm 

This is the email response to Proctor & Gamble regarding my question regarding the presence of corn starch and/or corn derivatives in BOUNTY paper towels....

Thanks for contacting us. I understand how frustrating it is to have allergies! We want to help and ask that you have your physician get in touch with us listing the ingredients you are allergic to, and the product you use that might contain them. I know this sounds unusual, but because of the competitive nature of our business, specific ingredient information isn't generally released. Please have your doctor send a written request on office letterhead to: P&G, P.O. Box 599, Cincinnati, Ohio 45201. Or if you prefer, fax it to us at: 1-513-983-2881 P&G Team

But I guess since many corn allergic people have posted here that they use Bounty without reactions, I don't think I am going to bother--besides, I really do not have a Dr. helping me with corn allergy since I did not test positive to conventional skin or blood antibody test. I only tested positive to "alternative" provocation/neutralization allergy test, but that Dr. told me that I only had to avoid corn protein and was very rude when I explained the extent of my sensitivies and reactions to even infintesimal amounts. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:15 am 

Hi Shelley E, back to you on the camping soap
Sorry I cannot be of much help on what brand I was looking at, I had just happened to notice them at the camping store while I was waiting to pay I didn't even pick up the package. It was the size of the package where my thoughts went first when I read this topic. Though I don't have allergy to corn I do realize the ingredients must be read before use as I am allergic to coconut and that is in may of soaps and lotions.

A jog down my memory lane I remember going to the hospital and for hand washing there was a soap dispenser that dispensed a very thin sliver of soap, you could basically see through it. ( this would be twenty some years ago but this did exist)
Sorry if I am just throwing out ideas and have no answers, I am not sure where to look for this but I do remember using it. ( don't know ingredients either sorry)
:?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:04 pm 

shell,

I am furious that the company requires a Doctor's note to disclose this information. I have found allergists to unwilling to do advocacy for their patients.

You might be able to convince a Primary Care Physician to help you, but mine refused stating that she wasn't an allergist.

I had to get a NEUROLOGIST to get me any help with Accommodation's requests related to my food allergies. It was just added on the long list of other health problems I had.

I know the woman who was instrumental in getting foods to have their ingredients mandatory labelled. She tried to get it mandatory to list the ingredients of spices and natural flavors too, but the lobbiests for the food industry won that battle. Too bad this law doesn't affect non-food items.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:13 pm 

Hi CosmicChaos
Yea--I was disgusted with them too. I sent them an email basically saying they can keep their propietary blend and I will just stick with Brawny. (but lmy employer usually buys Bounty and I was avoiding them which was to say the least, inconvienent)
Something has really gotta give with this labeling ---wouldn't it just make life so much easier, I mean safer!! Me and my husband have Celiac too, so it is getting a little better with the labeling.
On that note, I contacted Dr Bronner's Soaps regarding the citric acid in their products--which they did not always have in them by the way. I stayed away from them but then I think I saw them on a corn free list, but, I thought maybe it was old, or a mistake (sorry, I guess I should be more trusting!) but the GOOD NEWS is that their citric acid is from tapioca!!! They wanted to stay away from all corn because of the potential for GMO contamination which they are vehemently against. However, I suggested to them that I thought it would be helpful if they could put that it was from tapioca in parenthesis, if not to help us corn allergy sufferers but also to start getting it into people's minds that hey, citric acid is not just from citrus fruits!!! (since most people have no idea it is from corn, and hence most likely a GMO) I made a post with a clip regarding the rise of food allergies with the advent of GMO's if you are interested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:15 am 

I have not had problems with TP, but I have with pads and tampons. Typical me, slow on the uptake, I did not make the connection for awhile :) Then once I figured it out and changed to cloth pads, I was much more comfortable.

Misc (pollen, grass, mold, dogs, cats)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:24 pm 

At work, sometimes we get orders in where the price tags come printed on a sheet and you peel them off and stick them on and I react to them, so I try to wear a glove (which looks ridiculous!!!) and I even react to just touching where the sticker was on the sheet!!!
I am starting to think that I am allergic to my husband after he eats a significant amout of corn containing food!!! I am really struggling!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:46 am 

Adhesives contain corn.

My husband has to like all the envelopes. We have envelopes that just require you to peel back the paper, but if I am not really careful the adhesive touches my skin. Shudder... Pain...

Glue does something really funky to my skin. It takes days for me to scrape it off my skin. No one else I know has that problem with the exact same glues.