You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:35 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:07 pm 

We went to the zoo today and my 3 year old wanted ice cream. I had to tell her no because my 1 year old is allergic to milk. How do I word this without making my youngest feel bad about herself. Also without making my oldest resent the youngest?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:26 pm 
Site Admin

Good question and one that kind of makes me glad I have an only child.

At three you are dealing with someone who isn't likely to understand a lot of complexities. You probably don't want to mention just whatthe worst case scenario might be...

I would start by mentioning how everyone has things that they are good at and things that make life difficult. I wear glasses becaus emy eyes don't work really well. You daughter has an over active immune system that works too well. Unfortunately when it senses something that it thinks is a danger it puts too much fighter cells into her body and they actually end up making her sick.

He is lucky that he doesn't have this problem and your hope is that when she gets older she out grows it too. Meanwhile, it's hard to give him something as tasty as ice cream when she can't have any. You might look at some of the recipes for safe alternatives.

Ice cream makers are relatively inexpensive and you can make ice creams and sorbets etc. There are also some dairy-free ice cream alternatives out there so if dairy is her only allergy, why don't you try SoGood soy based ice cream or Natura's version?

Good luck!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:56 am 

I usually just say no because its not the right time.
I will get somthing else or bring our own snacks. Eventually when they are old enough I will explain it.

Allergic to tons and tons of food as well as perfumes, scented air sprays and cleaners. Hubby to Fish, ds #2 Shellfish, youngest to Eggplant, potato, Caesin, Raw Tomato & spinach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:03 pm 

My favorite is "it will make her sick". Of course then she will say "well then why can't i have any" and that is a very good point. In which case, i would maybe get her ice cream and the youngest something equal awesome like ummm a cookie and watch to make sure they don't share. You can also do the classic "how about a cookie instead? or a slurpee!" to just avoid the whole situation (and if you act really excited about the other options they are more likely to agree).