You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:07 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:37 pm 

I'm supposed to carry an epipen now and...i really don't want to...but i don't really have a choice. So, when is the best time to use it? When you feel the initial reaction? Or later on when it gets to the painful chest part?

Also, is it better to have a full stomach when you eat a nut? does eating food after make the reaction better or worse or neither? Does the quantity of the nut you eat affect your reaction or is it once your screwed your screwed?

Oh, i am also suposed to wear a medical alert thing now. I've found a bracelet for about 7.99 at a local drug store but i can't seem to find an anklet. Do you know where i can find one for a good price (and none of this joining the little $40 a month community, yikes)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:30 pm 
Site Admin

The best time to use your Epi-Pen is as soon as you discover you have injested your allergen.
You can never judge a reaction based on the last one. It can be more or less severe and it can have a rapid progression.
There is such a thing as too late. If your blood pressure drops and your veins collapse or, if your heart stops, the medication will simply sit in your leg muscle and not do you any good.
I'm sorry if this sounds harsh but this can and has happened to people. No body wants to carry and Epi-Pen, read labels, quiz food prep staff, cart there own food to social events or have an allergy to begin with.
Studies have found 1/8000th of a peanut is enough to cause a reaction.
Eating an allergen on a full stomache is not going to make a difference. Total avoidance is the only way.

See Dr Antony Ham Pong's The Peanut/Nut Handout:
http://www.allergicliving.com/downloads ... andout.pdf

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:59 am 

For you there is NO better time to eat a nut. Total avoidance. The epi-pen is not like taking an aspirine when you get a headache -- you don't want to have to use it.

As for an anklet -- not a good choice. In a medical emergency, EMS checks wrists first, then (maybe) look for a necklace. They do not regularly check ankles for bracelets or shoe laces.

There are some nicer looking bracelets availabe -- but mostly for young kids I think.

I bought my bracelet when it was a life-time membership and they are not revoking it. However, I got my son's, not knowing it was an annual membership. I'm looking for a new style for him because his is wearing out -- and I'm not spending that much every year.

In case you are still thinking you can eat a nut occasionally and then just take the epi-pen, there's a different reaction you might want to know about first. GI Upset. Very severe diarreah -- which hits sudden (no warning). Some people that have been through it refer to it as *explosion of the bowels*.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:34 am 
Site Admin

You might want to see if your school participates in the No Child Without program.
http://www.nochildwithout.ca/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:30 pm 

It's $40 a month now? Wow, that seems high. Mine was a lifetime membership but they charge you if you want to update your records. I put off changing my emergency contact for awhile because I didn't want to do that, then I got a new allergy and had to buy a new bracelet, so I did it then.

Misc (pollen, grass, mold, dogs, cats)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:24 am 

Cost for MedicAlert is on an annual basis, not a monthly one.
Right now it seems they are having a Fall Sale (until Oct. 11, 2008) on some items.
Also having a deal right not on new memberships in Canada: http://medicalert.ca/en/products/browsePackages.asp
Also, for those who buy Twinject, you get a free membership -- just check out their website for details.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:12 am 

Don't get me wrong, I will try and avoid nuts at all possible costs it is just taking a while to get into the rythem of things (yes, as i have had them all my life it should be second nature to check...but...yeah). I'm also against poking myself with a needle so if that means checking labels and hunting down cooking staff then so be it.

What does it feel like to have your veins collapse? would you still be conscious?
I can believe the 1/800th part. Would however the reaction be stronger/more sever if you had a whole nut?

You bring up a valid point about using a bracelet instead of an anklet. I had forgot about the viability (took first aid for lifeguarding...pretty easy to check ankles when they are wearing a swimsuit ;) ). Bracelets have a tendency to fall off but i think i saw some adjustable ones so that might work. Necklace is a good idea to if the bracelet starts to get to me. $40 a year is much better though.

How about after the initial reaction. Would eating (safe) food afterwards help...dilute the reaction or anything?

I'm no longer in school so they wont be able to help me. I don't remember there being much allergy alert campaigns when i did go to school. But I am glad, since i discovered at age 10 that it was safe to eat peanut butter it is very hard for me to see life without it again. So good!

Haven't gotten a pen yet, or a bracelet. Waiting to do the blood test. Which i don't understand, they did the scratch test and now they have to do a blood test? What was the point of doing the scratch test? *still bitter about being poked 26 times and then being abandoned while my back started attacking me*

And (white) peaches? Related to almonds or hazelnuts? I've heard both and it really weird having peach juice in the morning and being fine and eating a peach at night and feeling completely sick. Weird guys, weird.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:46 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
What does it feel like to have your veins collapse? would you still be conscious?

I hope I never find out. The last time my daughter had a reaction she didn't get the usual facial swelling, she got a bit of a fat lip, a few white tiny raised bumps near her eye, an itchy throat and tongue and then she started to faint. I was worried about her blood pressure dropping. It was then that I gave the Epi-Pen. This all happened in a matter of 30 seconds after eating a couple of spoonfuls of split pea soup. Itwas her first time eating it and she really liked it (so much for having a natural avoidance).

By the time the ambulance came she was playing Webkinz on the computer (easiest way to keep her still).

So, if a 6 year old can handle the needle, I'm pretty sure you will be able to as well. I was very fearful about having to give the Epi-Pen in an emergency but now I look at it as a tool that I have in an emergency to save my childs life. She is no longer afraid of it either.(she doesn't like that we need to hold it in for a few seconds but...she doesn't want to die.)

Eating other foods after will not help. By the time your realise you are having a reaction the protien is in your blood stream and your body has released mast cells etc. Eating more foods at a time when your throat is potentially swelling shut can cause problems such as choking.
Second count at this time, reach for your Epi-Pen, not a banana!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:18 pm 

hi teddy0bear
sorry to hear you have new allergies you are trying to get figured out. if you are looking for a great substitute for peanut butter i found one about a few months ago and my family with out peanut allergies could barely notice the difference, the one that seemed the closest is the one with the yellow lid called honey. i found this at wal-mart and sobeys in alberta.
now i have never had peanut butter my self but i can only tell you i love the honey, and the chunky.

www.soynutbutter.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:29 pm 

Quote:
And (white) peaches? Related to almonds or hazelnuts? I've heard both and it really weird having peach juice in the morning and being fine and eating a peach at night and feeling completely sick. Weird guys, weird.

I don't think peaches are related to either.

However!

Artificial almond flavour is often completely almond free -- it is made from the pit of a fruit -- might be peach, I can't remember. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:37 pm 

paige H wrote:
hi teddy0bear
sorry to hear you have new allergies you are trying to get figured out. if you are looking for a great substitute for peanut butter i found one about a few months ago and my family with out peanut allergies could barely notice the difference, the one that seemed the closest is the one with the yellow lid called honey. i found this at wal-mart and sobeys in alberta.
now i have never had peanut butter my self but i can only tell you i love the honey, and the chunky.

www.soynutbutter.com

Hey, i'm in Alberta too! I'm not allergic to peanuts thankfully (we thought i was...then my mom bet me a dollar I wasn't when i was 6, and a dollar is a lot of money for a 6 year old, and VOLA found out i wasn't allergic and earned a dollar!). However, my uncle is allergic so I will let him know thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:47 pm 

AnnaMarie wrote:

I don't think peaches are related to either.

However!

Artificial almond flavour is often completely almond free -- it is made from the pit of a fruit -- might be peach, I can't remember. :oops:

Nice! I'll put it on my ok to try (but be careful) list. I'm presuming Almond extract is still on the "denied" list.

I'm hoping maybe the peach thing wasn't a reaction just the peach with something else i ate did not sit well or something. But it sure felt like a reaction. Not a bad one but like a "traces off" type one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:02 am 

There is also NoNuts Golden Peabutter - made in Alberta and distributed nationally.

http://www.peabutter.ca/

It is made from roasted ground peas and it delicious and doesn't have the soy aftertaste

Sobeys, Safeway, etc all carry it.

Enjoy.