You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:23 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:44 am 

Another one I will have to get out here on Vacation!

:lol: Send someone fishing to find out. :lol: Actually... with shrimp coming up on yours I probably still wouldn't. But I am just cautious like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:30 am 

Wow, did not know that about the baby carrots! I am generally okay with VERY small amounts (for example toilet paper doesn't bother me, and the antihistamines in benadyl are enough to counteract the cornstarch) but I have been itchy lately and could not figure out what as I was not eating anything unusual---except the baby carrots! Who would think a vegetable would have additives in it, that is just crazy. Well, back to the regular carrots for me.

Misc (pollen, grass, mold, dogs, cats)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:36 am 

Baby carrots are particularly bad. The water put in the bag with them contains corn. Also the carrots are washed with either a citrus wash or corn based wash.

I was shocked when I figured out originally that I was reacting to baby carrots when I had zero problems with carrots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:47 am 

Well, I am glad I read this board. I never, ever would have predicted that a vegetable would be an issue like that. I am generally okay with small amounts. Sometimes, I have minor reactions to something that will turn out to be completely random, and I am okay with things like citric acid. But this summer, I have not been cooking much and so bought baby carrots instead of regular ones. My eyes have been itchy, the area around my mouth has been red, my arms and legs were itchy, my eczema acting up, all the warning signs I ate something I shouldn't have, and I just could NOT figure out what it was! There are times when it's obvious I take a chance, and I have a small reaction and I deserve it. But carrots? I never, ever would have even thought to check!

Misc (pollen, grass, mold, dogs, cats)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:29 am 

Avoid bagged and prepackaged fruits and vegetables. Not all contain corn, but enough do.

There is canned fruit that doesn't contain corn, but you have to read the labels carefully.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:25 pm 

I'm not sure if I posted this before. I have had horrific (skin) reactions to store-bought meat in the past. Here is a site that explains the use of corn derived organic acids on meat and poultry. I started having problems with meat about 10 years ago which is about the time that they started this procedure:

<<<Since December 1999, FSIS and FDA have worked together to evaluate and approve or list as safe and suitable food ingredients for use in the production of meat and poultry that have an antimicrobial effect.>>>

(I realize this is a U.S. document, but I'm positive (by my reactions) that this procedure is also used in Canada).

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/oppde/rdad/frp ... edGuid.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:01 pm 

I've come to the conclusion: no more seafood for me! I definitely react to it---even flash frozen, I guess they still put additives on it (???) Well, I think I am ok with canned tuna, as long as it's just tuna and water or olive oil. Does anyone else have reactions to canned tuna?????
Everyone...thanks for all the help!!! I definitely need it. Tremendous help regarding coffee additives... finally gave it up!!!!
Does anyone drink Woodstock Farms organic milk??? It is not D3 fortified---but don't think cows are grass fed.

I found a Vitamin C from Allergy Research Group that is corn free---from Cassava Root. They have it at a discounted price on Vitacost website. (If I don't take Vit. C my gums hurt)

Have to watch out for other vitamins and supplements...vegetarian capsules--some are made from corn, but some are not. Pullulan (cellulose) are ok, polysaccaride ones are from corn. They usually do not indicate on labels.

Also supplements like Co-Q10 and amino acids and certain digestive enzymes, etc. are often made by fermenting an organism (aspergillus mold I think) on CORN sugar-- so beware of those. Usually the people at the companies are very ignorant about this, and if you ask if there is any corn they will say no. Case in point: Suntheanine which is a brand name for a l-theanine amino acid that helps with anxiety-(it is very calming but you stay alert, it is being recommended for ADHD) ---anyways, Suntheanine says right on their website that l-theanine is found in tea. I emailed and asked them if it had any corn in it. They said no, that it is found in tea (and that it is really the only source of it) The person was rude, indicating that I was stupid because duh, it's from tea--of course there is no corn in it. I emailed back asking if they were saying that the source of theirs is from tea---and that I was aware many products are made by fermentation that uses sugar (usually from corn) I received an apologetic email back, incidating that indeed their product was produced in this manner and not derived from tea. so beware!!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:49 pm 

You hear/see stuff like "it is found in _____" all the time. It is so frustrating when you try to explain to a food company that this doesn't mean it is "made from _____". Corn allergy is a never ending learning curve.

As for fish and seafood, I had to give it up many, many years ago. The only fish I can safely eat is the fish caught by a friend in one of our northern lakes. It has not been CORN-taminated yet. I came across an article a while ago that discusses the use of citric acid treated ice that is used on fishing boats. It not only cools the freshly caught fish but it preserves it right away...sigh...

I have had terrible reactions to canned fish...(tuna, salmon, etc.). I used to be able to eat John West canned Mackerel and plan to try them again one of these days. Here is a Government of Canada site that explains the allowed additives/preservatives for canned fish:

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/ani ... pp1e.shtml

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:01 pm 

P.S. Does the Woodstock Farms Organic milk contain Vitamin A? This vitamin is also in a corn oil carrier. I don't know if you are in Canada or not, but you will not find any milk that has not been fortified in Canada.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:51 pm 
Site Admin

Shell posted-
Quote:
The person was rude, indicating that I was stupid because duh, it's from tea--of course there is no corn in it. I emailed back asking if they were saying that the source of theirs is from tea---and that I was aware many products are made by fermentation that uses sugar (usually from corn) I received an apologetic email back, incidating that indeed their product was produced in this manner and not derived from tea. so beware!!!!!!!!!!

Do you ever e-mail back that they may wish to educate their customer service centre to this fact as you were given false information? Grrr

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:18 am 

I can have Squid, Octopus, Jellyfish, and Seaweed.

There is ONE type of Trout I can still have.

Everything else from the water is out for me. :(

As a child I used to have Tuna all the time. I miss it, but my reaction to it is now violent.

As a child I had Tuna sandwhiches in order to avoid the P&J sandwiches that made me so violently sick.

Several other fish that were safe within the last ten years are no longer safe.

Some fish were never safe for me, Shrimp and Salmon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:47 pm 

Woodstock Farms milk is not fortified with Vitamin A or D.

Citric Acid Ice!!! ASTOUNDING.

It is also astonishing that most customer service reps. are clueless. I am calling them for help, but I usually know more than them!!! The best scenario is when they refer you to a chemist--I should just ask for them right away perhaps. For example, I had a good experience with NATURE-THROID from Western Pharmaceuticals. The chemist really knew what he was talking about---I takeNature-Throid for underactive thyroid. It does not have corn, but Armour Thyroid does (they are both natural) and as far as I know, all others do as well--Synthroid and it's generic form do. (Oh, I had doctors and pharmacists insist that the "gluten free" synthroid would be okay--but I tried to explain to them that corn does not have gluten and I couldn't get a straight answer on any corn content!!!)

I tried eating tuna with Vegenaise ---but I reacted really bad, thought it was the Vegenaise (does anyone eat that??? I miss mayonaise!!!! Tried making it 2x's but was a total flop!) Vegenaise ingredients are: Grapeseed oil, filtered water, brown rice syrup, apple cider vinegar, soy protein, sea salt, mustard flour, and lemon juice concentrate
Does any of that have corn???? Hydrolyzed soy protein is definitely out right? But could it be the soy protein?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:56 pm 

Susan- yes, I emailed back after he sent me an apology. But it really wasn't an apology --he made it sound like I'm the one with the problem because I am allergic to corn, but I emailed back again and I told them they were misleading and whether or not I have an allergy, the fact that they were dishonest and/or ignorant is a real red flag and I asked them if they were ashamed of the true nature of their product and if that is why they made it sound so wonderful that it is from tea. He didn't email me back. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:20 pm 
Site Admin

Shell, I love Veganaise (but then we don't have corn allergies so it works for us)

Glad you e-mailed them back-imagine! After all they are in customer service... :roll:

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:17 am 

According to the "Corn Free Foods" list, Veganaise is corn free so I suspect it was the tuna that you reacted to. Personally I don't trust most of the things on this list because many of the people who verify things to be corn-free are not as sensitive as I am. I pretty much analyze everything I eat and only (almost) eat things I have made myself from safe ingredients. My reactions are skin related so if I try something new, I only try one thing at a time and judge by my skin whether or not it is safe. Sigh...that doesn't mean that the next time I try it it will still be safe!

Here is the Corn Free Food List:

http://corn-freefoods.blogspot.com/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next