You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:37 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:50 am 

We check, and we check and we...sometimes forget. At least I do and boy do i feel like an idiot when i forget and pay for it. I'm looking for stories of other people who have had these temporary lapses in good judgement. If anything, to make me feel a little less like an idiot (and maybe a couple of "i feel your pain" laughs).

My latest "I am such an idiot" moment happened almost a year ago at a bbq. Before the bbq I gave myself a pep talk "Ok Nikki (i'm Nikki btw, hi!) you are going to a potluck bbq with people who don't know you are allergic, BE CAREFUL! ASK!". Considering i never remind myself to ask i felt at this point I was doing a good job. Time for food came up very quickly and there was this salad. This salad looked very good but it was rather different and i couldn't tell exactly what was in it. Darnit, i should ask, even though it feels silly to ask about a salad (although, i do make an awesome pecan salad now...so i'm told...). I asked and was given the ok. Woo hoo! i took an extra helping. While we are working on our salads someone brought out the smore supplies, ie getting into the chocolate a little early. I was all "score, chocolate! Throw me one! Yay! Chocolate! *much munch*". Needless to say i felt like quite an idiot about 2 seconds later (salad vs chocolate really nikki which one usually has nuts? honestly)

Post subject: I feel your pain
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:16 pm 

Just want you to know that I went out to a restaurant last night and felt like an idiot with my allergic daughter. I ordered a ceasar salad ( not thinking beacause she eats this at other restaurants ) and shared it with my daugher. Needless to say, we had to go to the bathroom and run out of the restaurant. She vomited in the car but was fine afterwords. I found out after researching on line, that the ceasar salad had anchovies in it and ofcourse she is allergic to fish. The funny part is, I did not think she is allergic to anchovies since she eats Worchershire sauce with her steak. As a matter of fact, we tested the worchershire sauce today and she is fine. So, I don't know if the combination of spices in the sauce or the amount of that is not causing the allergic reaction?
I am coming to the conclusion that when ever we eat out, we have to tell the waiter about our situation to avoid this from happening.