Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:41 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Shoes
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:46 am 

Hi All!

I'm curious to know if anyone else out there has a problem with shoes.

My chemical sensitivities have created a problem with most shoes, especially when they are closed in, as they make the bottom of my feet 'burn' (for lack of a better word)
after I have worn them for about a half hour. It is very difficult to wear them long enough in a shoe store to know if they will be a problelm or not.
In the summer it's not quite as bad, as I can get by with open sandals, but winter is coming and I am in need of new shoes, but reluctant to buy them and end up not being able to wear them.
If anyone out there has had this problem and found a solution, I would be most happy to hear from them.

Heather

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:29 pm 

I don't have a problem with wearing shoes, but I do notice that if I spend too long in the shoe section of a large department store that I sometimes start sneezing and feel like I'm getting a cold. There must be lots of chemicals to soften the leather, etc.

Have you tried buying canvas shoes? I don't know, but I would expect that they would have less chemicals than leather shoes or shoes made from synthetic material....but if the problem is with the *soles* of the shoes I don't know what you could do....other than trying shoes with leather soles to see if that is any better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:44 pm 

Thanks for your response.

I can get one big headache in shoes stores that sell a quantity of cheaper shoes of man made materials.

Thanks for your suggestions. I guess I am thinking about the winter ahead and a new pair of boots, and solid shoes. I also have a narrow foot, so that adds to the problem.

I appreciate your responding.

Heather

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:47 am 

Good luck! I hope you can find something suitable--the only thing I can think of is trying to wear layers of socks....but that might not work either.

I have a narrow foot too and buying shoes is tough!