Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:43 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Hi - brand new here
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:17 pm 

Hi everyone
We have a 1 yr old boy and we found out that he has peanut and egg white allergy when he was 8 months old.
He always had bad skin and was really an uphappy baby, and we thought he might be allergic to milk and soy. When he started eating 'people' food we noticed that the rashes were getting worse and thinking of the milk and soy we were having a hard time finding food to feed to him. So we went to see the allergist - and the skin test.
Let me tell u how shocked i was when he said he has a peanut and egg allergy! But looking back now i can see when he came in to contact with it then the rashes - but never thought peanuts.
So we are now a nut free home, and he cant eat eggs but we are still allowed to have them in the house - although i try to buy everything that has no eggs in it so that we dont 'slip up'
We are going to see the allergist again at the end of the month - poor little guy keeps getting blue lips after eating - so they think it could be other foods. I'm not sure what to do - he is already limited to so much because of the allergy and his age.
BUt the blue lips are scary - to me that means no oxygen but they think it could be more food - anyone hear of that? THey are blue like 'out of the pool' blue.

Thanks
:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:36 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome.

I'm not sure about the blue lips. Our daughter had problems with asthma at that age and her lips would get blue. Does he have any other symptoms of lack of oxygen? Doues he cough, is he lethargic, does he avoid moving or talking? I would mention it to the Dr and keep a list of wjat foods tend to cause this rection.

Good luck! I can undersatnd how disconcerting that would be.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:25 am 

Welcome to the site!

Wow, blue lips after eating? That must be quite scary for you. I sure hope the allergist can help you find the answers you need.

My son (almost 6 years old) is also quite limited. He is allergic to eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, fish, shell fish, potatoes, oranges, pineapples, and has tested positive for corn, soy, and wheat. Which means we've got some work to do over the summer to find out if and how the corn, soy, and wheat affect him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:39 pm 

Hello Every body!

I am very greatful to have found this site because I am hoping that some of your experience will shed a little light on my situation.

A brief summary. I have the usual environmental allergies, dust pollen. anything with fur etc.. The only symptom I have primarily is asthma. Now up until the last year it was under perfect control but I moved into a new apartment and unbenowst to me a cat had lived there before and then the next place it was a dog that was the previous tenant.

I recently bought a brand new house on my doctor's orders and I have been deathly ill and in the hospital several times 2 months ago. I suspect it is our brand new wall to wall berber that still reeks but I had never heard of this before. I have to spend as much time as possible outside of the house as my asthma is so bad. I suspect it is a little better because I can sleep throught the night now but not much.

Is this common for allergy sufferers or am I the lucky one and will it go away. I can't afford to hardwood my 4 bedroom house yet! Help!! I am so depressed!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:22 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Ophelia,

First, how awful, and hang in there. Don't let it get to you, you'll figure this out.

While I'm no doctor, from research I've done for AL magazine, I'd suspect it's probably asthma triggered by chemical irritants as opposed allergies as such. A lot of people have trouble with adhesives in new laid carpets, usually due to off-gassing of formaldehyde.

he stuff does tend to dissipate, so ventilate your house as best you can.

Now I don't usually peddle the magazine here :wink: but I would highly recommend purchasing a back issue of our Winter 2008 issue if you don't subscribe - we did 2 comprehensive feature articles in it related to the issues of indoor air and chemical sensitivites. And there were helpful website links as well. See the descriptions of the articles here: http://www.allergicliving.com/issues.asp

And good luck. I know it's disheartening, but there must be a way to make improvements that will help. Perhaps even with an added ventilation system - those are getting popular with people with such issues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:22 pm 

It has been a year now since our first visit to the allergist and our food restrictions had started. Not only have we gotten used to our new diet but my daughter has no more hives and fairly clear skin. It will get better for you too. Its scarry to find out that theirare many foods you are no longer allowed to eat but its empowering to know what you can do to help your child. In the begining i would make a list of the foods we could eat just to be reassured on paper that we weren't going to starve. I soon found that the amount of foods we could eat outnumbered the foods we couldn't eat. I also learned how to make Egg, dairy, wheat free pancakes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:14 am 
Site Admin

I agree with Evelyne, it is empowering to see how you can control the situation as opposed to looking at what you can't have. (kind of a glass is half full outlook)

Once I found substitutes for egg and dairy, I really didn't miss them in the house.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb