You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:42 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:27 pm 

Hello! Long time no post! I was wondering if anyone has had their second child starting school who is considered to have a "suspected" peanut allergy, due to older sib having an allergy. DS (the younger) was tested as a toddler but test was negative, allergist said probably b/c had not been exposed to peanuts b/c of DD being allergic.

We have always fed DS the same as DD (no peanuts, tree nuts, no traces of peanuts), but with him now starting Kindergarten are unsure of what to tell the school to do. It is a "peanut-free classroom" school (nuts are NOT banned in the whole school, just in the specific classrooms with nut allergies - not my 1st choice but that's another, old story!).

Regarding my daughter's allergy we have been told it is "significant" and she must carry an EpiPen, we have not had to use it but have been very careful, although not as careful as some as we do eat out at restaurants and very occasionally give her something which may contain traces of peanut.

(sorry this is getting longer than I intended!). Anyway, so my question is how would you have the school handle this. My thinking was leaving it up to the teacher whether to put a peanut ban on the classroom (she was my daughter's K teacher and is great), but not allowing DS to have food with peanuts or nuts. I'm thinking the traces of peanuts may be ok for him.

Wondering what y'all think, thanks very much in advance!! :-D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:21 am 
Site Admin

That's a tricky one. If you could speak to the allergist you might want his/her opinion on this.

My first inclination is to continue to feed him the same peanut-free, nut-free foods you always have and advise the school that food allergies tend to run in families so you need to be careful, however, he has not been formally diagnosed because you are avoiding those foods so he has not come into contact with them.

I would ask that they place him in a nut-free classroom if they have ine available (maybe another student in Kindergarten has peanut alergies). I would also ensure that the teacher is aware of what to look for in a reaction but then...

What would they do if he had a reaction?
I can't imagine they would use his sisters Epi-Pen as it isn't his and there are no medication forms completed for him.

I think you need to speak to the allergist/Dr and get a clear answer from them-What do you do if he has a severe reaction while at school? Would your allergist allow you to try a peanut on him at the allergists office? (I wouldn't try this at home)

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:50 am 

There are so many different views on so many things about allergies...the more reading I do, the more this becomes apparent to me.

I have a 4 year old daughter with a peanut and almond allergy. She has had two "moderate" reactions, one that landed her in the ER.

I also have a 21 month old daughter who was not exposed to peanuts or nuts while I was pregnant, nor after birth. Since she was born after our oldest was diagnosed with her allergies, we have not had any "suspect food" in the house. So our youngest has not had any nuts or any foods labelled to potentially have traces of nuts.

We our youngest tested at the allergists office. I knew from doing research, and from our allergist that our youngest had a 7% chance of having a peanut allergy becasue of her sister's allergy. We opted to have her tested at the allergist, because we weren't comfortable doing a "test" at home, and because we don't have any foods at home to "test" it out.

All this to say, she tested negative on the skin prick tests at the allergist's office, and we were given the all clear to let her eat peanuts and nuts (in the infrequent situations where she may actually have the opportunity.

I think, however, that I will make sure to have her eat peanut/nut in my presence before she starts school. For my own peace of mind. There are no other signs of food allergies in my youngest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:03 pm 

Hello,

I believe that you must fill out a form and have it signed by your doctor to confirm a medical condition.

In our school we will not put a plan of action in place unless it is a medically verified condition. We are very strict about that. If you "think" that your child has an allergy then you need to have a doctor confirm that. I think this is essential in order to maintain consistency as well as credibility.

Otherwise we would find ourselves with a slew of demands and request that can range from capricious, to finicky to absurd. I have seen and heard of some pretty crazy requests by some parents in some schools. There is a protocol in place and it is there for the good of all of us. I think it is important to respect it.

We are talking about a life threatening condition, you wouldn't have your child wear a personnal flotation device to go to school because there is no risk of drowning. I therefore don't think it necessary to implement food safety measures when there is no risk of an allergic reaction.

I think your best bet is to consult with your allergist on a plan of action and moving forward from there.

I hope this isn't coming across too boldly, it is certainly not my intention. I do most definitely empathize with you dilemma and hope that you find a solution to suits all parties involved.

Best of luck

Denise

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:42 pm 

Thanks for the replies guys. I guess the best scenario would be to discuss it with his teacher and see what she is comfortable doing... since my daughter had her for K I know she's really good about all this.

And yes Denise that makes sense, I haven't identified it to the school as an official medical condition with forms and such (like my daughter has), only as a concern. As I mentioned the allergist said he could not confirm whether or not my son would become allergic. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with the "no food safety measures" idea at this point.

The other point about the peanut challenge at the Dr.'s office may be an idea too... just makes me feel a little sick to my stomach though considering all we have done to avoid peanuts so far! Might be the only way to find out for sure though.

Thanks again :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:17 pm 

SaskMom2 wrote:
Hello! Long time no post! I was wondering if anyone has had their second child starting school who is considered to have a "suspected" peanut allergy, due to older sib having an allergy. DS (the younger) was tested as a toddler but test was negative, allergist said probably b/c had not been exposed to peanuts b/c of DD being allergic.

I'm just curious, and I apologize since it's a little O/T, but what testing was done? RAST or SPT? I ask because DS (age 2.5 yrs) has a strong +ve SPT and a -ve RAST, so we accept that as being peanut allergic. He's never consumed peanut products (he was tested at 15 months), so that probably explains the -ve RAST. Perhaps if only a RAST was done you could request a SPT to confirm or deny the RAST result (assuming it is a RAST result you're talking about).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:28 pm 

Hi, it was the skin prick test (assuming that is SPT?) Is the RAST the food challenge one? (sorry am a bit of an idiot... lol)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:31 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, SPT is short for skin prick test.
RAST (radioallergosorbent test) is a type of blood test used to test for allergies.

Quote:
RAST tests are considered somewhat less sensitive than skin prick tests, although they are considered basically accurate and useful. They are valuable because they can give information about the specific IgE concentration in a patient's blood.

http://foodallergies.about.com/od/diagn ... rofile.htm

The gold standard is still the oral challenge which must be done in a Dr's office because of the risk of reaction. This is where the individual consumes a certain ammount of the allergen they are thought to have grown out if. If they are symptom free for a certain ammount of time, they may be declared free of the allergy to that item.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb