You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:11 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:34 pm 

That's wonderful Anna Marie! I'm so glad this is going to work out for you as well. Now that you've been able to confirm this for yourself, was the bakery able to tell you of some other "safe" breads that you could buy and where you can buy them? You indicated the organic breads... I'll have to check for these. As much as we love rye bread, we enjoy variety, so if this bakery is safe, I would like to locate a 100% whole wheat, a white bread, etc. Where to buy them would be key...

Too bad the buns are made in a different facility. Oh well, finding this bread was pretty exciting for me!!! It is almost IMPOSSIBLE to find a bakery that does not bake with sesame seeds on the premises.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:27 am 

Julie, I spoke with Helga. She said ALL of their loafs of bread are in peanut and sesame free plants.

My husband brought home a loaf of *Light Rye* last night. :lol: He said they have a lot of breads, but mostly *fancy* (his word). He's looking forward to trying the Pumpernickle. Also, he said he's seen this brand at quite a few stores, so it should be easy to find.

When I spoke with Helga, she mentioned their bakery - but I didn't recognize the name of the street, and would prefer to just shop in a regular grocery store, so I didn't mark it down.

I don't think they make plain breads - mostly healthy dark breads.

Just checked the bag of *Swedish Style Light Rye* that we have. If egg is always listed as egg then this loaf should be safe for you to. I will try to remember to check others as we buy them. :) However, if egg is hidden under other words - let me know. (albumen? is that egg? it's not in this bread)

Post subject: Thank You
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:35 pm 

Hi Everyone,

My daughter is allergic to peanuts, tree nuts and sesame seeds. I have definitely found the sesame allergy the trickiest one to work around.

Thank you so much for the info on the bread. We have been eating the Demsters bread but would love to give my daughter something a little healthier! :P

As for a bakery that does not have sesame seeds, there is one in Toronto. It is called Amazing Donuts. 416-398-7546 3772 Bathurst Street, North York, ON M3H 3M6

They are not open on Saturdays.

He mainly makes donuts, cakes...but he does make white and multi-grain egg breads on Fridays.

Rosie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:43 pm 

Hi Rosie,

Thanks for the info on the sesame-free bakery... unfortunately, my son is also allergic to eggs :( . My son has somewhat similar allergies to your daughter (I just read your intro). He is allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, egg, fish, green peas, mustard seed and pineapple. Of all these, we have found sesame to be the most challenging (although, they are all challenging, aren't they?) I've always felt concerned about introducing new foods, and since I just read about your daughter's episode with pumpkin seeds, I think based on our son's history, that we should definitely continue our avoidance of pumpkin seeds as well. Do you avoid pumpkin itself, or just the seed? I recently made pumpkin muffins for the first time, and my son was fine. Does this mean anything?

Isn't this forum just incredible? I have learned SO much, and it has helped our family tremendously already. Thank goodness we have others to talk to.

Julie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:17 pm 

Hi Julie,

Thank you for your reply. I asked my doctor about pumpkin versus pumpkin seeds, and he said it would be highly unusual for someone to react to both, one has nothing to do with the other. That was good news!

There is a slight possibility that the pumpkin seed that my daughter ate had a traces of nuts. The person who was carving the pumpkin with her confessed that they had nuts much earlier in the day and had washed their hands, so we do not know exactly if it was the seed or a trace of some nut. Ugg

She will be tested this October at the allergists office. My gut feeling is that it was the seed. Currently I am avioding all seeds, as a safety precaution.

I also love this forum. I find people who are not trying to cope with allergies on a day to day basis are not aware of how difficult it can be.

It is nice not to be alone.

Do you ever go to any restaurants?

Rosie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:03 pm 

Hi again Rosie,

The only restaurant we ever go to is McDonald's - our son (& daughter) will get chicken nuggets and fries (not a healthy restaurant choice, I know, but what can you do??). Every time we order from there (maybe once a month), we always go in, make sure they are aware of the allergy situation (usually the manager comes over), double check that the oil used for the chicken nuggets and the fries is not used for anything else (no fish, etc.), and then we'll order. I must admit, we weren't always this cautious about everything, but now we are. We have never had a problem with McDonald's. In the "Dining Out" section of this forum, there is a section on eating at McDonald's - we considered this very carefully before deciding to continue to order food for our son. It is our VERY rare "treat" for our family. We prepare all other food, take food with us whereever we go, etc. About a year ago, we went to Kelsey's a couple of times, and they seemed very allergy aware, but I was still worried about the kitchen and cross-contamination - it would be so easy for this to happen. Not that there is any guarantee, but at least with McDonald's, we can watch them prepare our son's food...

What about you? Do you ever venture out to any restaurants?

Julie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:59 pm 

Hi Julie,

We also are quite cautious about going to restaurants. We have had two bad experiences in which we have NO idea what my daughter reacted to.

We go to Pizza Hut often, because they do not use sesame or nuts when they make the pizzas. (at least for now) We have also found out that Swiss Chalet has an allergy information chart that includes sesame. We have also gone to Lone Star where they were very allergy aware. They make their tortillas on the premesis as well as their own salsa.
Also Check with Mr Sub, the one near our home bakes their own rolls that does not contain any sesame at all. You are able to watch them make your food and ensure that they clean all utensils.

Thanks for reminding me about the restuarant forum. I will check that out!!

It is really tricky!

Rosie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:21 pm 

Regarding restaurants. I used to eat in one, but they went out of business, so I guess I didn't eat there enough. :lol:

I had heard about Mr. Sub, and tried contacting them more then a year ago. I didn't get a response, and just gave up. Might be worth contacting them again though.

Do you know if Pizza Hut used sesame seeds for other things (like bread sticks)? I haven't checked any pizza places, because I do like my home made stuff. :)

I won't eat anyplace that sells anything with sesame seeds. I had heard Swiss Chalet does have them on something - but I could be wrong. I haven't actually checked myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:39 pm 

I am just new to this forum and am from SK so things may be different here. As far a bread goes, we get ours from Bunsmaster who say they make products sesame/peanut free. They do have sesame in the plant but it is not used in the dough and the bagel and buns it is on are dipped into a tray that is enclosed. When I started buying bread there, I noticed that the sesame bagels were close to others and that some of the seeds had fallen into other bins. By my next visit, everything was moved around. This situation is far from perfect, but it is the best we've found so far.
We have had some luck with restaurants. Wendy's, Taco Time, Pizza Hut, and Pizza 73 are all sesame-free. We did go to McDonald's but as I read more info on line I got a little freaked out and we quit going there. I find that it is hard to determine what is a "comfortable risk". We have avoided sit-down restaurants mainly because my daughter with the allergy is only 18 months (and we would likely be avoiding these right now anyway). Whenever I go to a restaurant with friends, I pump the managers for info and have been pleasantly surprised at how accommodating they seem. Some places have read ingredient lists on every box they have. I am eager to hear any hints or safe places others have found.
Dawn :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:55 pm 

Dawn, do you know where Wendy's gets their buns? I have very severe reactions even to just trace amounts, so even if they purchase buns with no seeds, I would react if the bun manufacturer used the same equipment to make other products with seeds.

I did love Wendy's, and it was one of the last places I gave up eating at. I never had a reaction there, but when I questioned them (more then 10 years ago) I didn't feel safe with the answers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:41 pm 

I was in Wendy's a couple of weeks ago with my non-allergic daughter. I spent some time asking them about their products and allergen info (I had already reviewed some of the info available regarding Wendy's & decided my son could one day try the chicken nuggets or strips and the french fries). Anyway, even though the buns used for hamburgers do not have visible sesame seeds, they use sesame kaiser rolls in the restaurant - basically, that was enough for me, and I decided I would not risk getting a hamburger there for my son. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:57 pm 

Well, I guess no Wendy's for me either.

Post subject: Wendy's
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:21 pm 

I double-checked the food info and there were no sesame seeds listed for any buns - even the kaisers. They may have had to use a different distributor at the Wendy's you were at. I've also contacted Pizza 73. They use no sesame seeds or oil (again I was read all of the ingredients). The phone went right to a main call centre (I think in AB) but all the chains use the same ingredients. I feel quite thankful to have several places I can rely on for fast food. It is also nice when family or friends want to get together and order pizza!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:32 pm 

Reading that article on sesame allergies in the latest issue of Allergic Living prompted me to ask one of my sisters with a sesame allergy about her reactions. She used to be fine with sesame seeds, but she reacted to sesame snaps. Although I don't think she comes across anything with sesame oil, she thought that the oil would be okay.

Last edited by Helen on Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Sesame and Red Lobster
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:31 pm 

FYI - my daughter was diagnosed with her sesame allergy from eating hommus - which contained tahini (sesame paste). Sesame oil is suspected to be a huge problem because it is cold pressed. Peanut oil is sometimes not as much of a problem because through the processing it is heated, which supposedly kills the protein that causes the problem. I have read about research being done in Europe with sesame seeds where they expose the seeds to an electic current. This kills the protein that triggers the allergic reaction but doesn't alter the taste or other properties.
On a totally separate note, we had a wonderful experience with Red Lobster. Previously I called and talked to someone who said it should be OK but they didn't sound convincing, so we avoided. Since my son loves going there I called again yesterday and spoke to someone very knowledgeable and helpful. They bake all their own buns and biscuits, use no sesame seeds or sesame oil. Their fries are coated but he read all ingredients to me. Popcorn shrimp and the chicken strips are breaded so he suggested we avoid those. I called early and he spend about 10 minutes on the phone with me. In the kids meals, pizza and pasta are OK. Given the difficulties with shellfish we avoided those as well even though my daughter doesn't appear to be allergic. We went and had a great lunch with no problems!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next