Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:11 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: multiple food allergies
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:32 am 

Hello
I'm a stay at home mom of two daughters, 6/1/2 and 4. My 6/1/2 year old daughter was diagnosed with life-threatening allergies at various stages of her life. Presently she is allergic to bananas, white potato, eggs, milk, peanuts, tree nuts, shell fish, salmon and kiwi. Life is a little easier than it used to be when we first found out about her allergies, but there are still challenges - birthday parties, traveling, eating out. I'm very happy to have found this website and I'm looking forward to sharing ideas with other people that have allergic kids.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:17 pm 
Site Admin

We're glad you found us, too! :)

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:06 am 

Hi and welcome! My almost 6 year old son is allergic to potatoes too (among other things).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:50 pm 

Thanks for the warm welcome wishes.
Kmommy, it's interesting to find someone else who has a potato allergy in the family. I've never met anyone else who is allergic to them.
My daughter did a potato challenge two years ago and passed, but then apparently the allergy has returned. Has anyone ever had a similar experience?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:11 pm 

I have a potato allergy--it developed along with a latex allergy and allergies to a bunch of other foods that cross react with latex.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:57 am 

For birthday parties I try and find out what kind of cake it will be, chocolate or vanilla for example and make one for my daughter and I to eat. I don't eat what she can't eat so she is never alone and that way I know she gets proper nutriontion, cause if i'm still hungry she probably is . I also bring homemade dari free ice cream and always candy just in case thay give some out and she can't have any. I try and make the cake look really appealing to her by adding lots of sprinkles. For now it works well. For goody bags she usualy get stickers and little toys instead of candies. When it was only my oldest with a peanut allergy I used to bring her a chocolate bar and that always changed her mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:18 am 

Evelyne, I noticed a flax allergy in your signature. I think you are the first other I have seen! I found out I had that this year. I had a suspicion based on what else was in the item in question, and looked it up on-line. It said allergy to flax was VERY rare and it was highly unlikely that was the problem. As soon as I saw that, I knew that was it, it would so be me to get the really obscure one! I got some from my stepdad and took it in to get tested and sure enough, that's what it was. The allergist was very surprised and said he has not seen any other flax allergy cases yet, I was his first!

Misc (pollen, grass, mold, dogs, cats)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:23 pm 

My daughter has had 2 anaphalactic reactions to flax although she has been skin tested for it twice with negative results. The first time we didn't know what had caused the reaction and blood tested her for a number of things that were almost all positive and the flax test mysteriously did not come back so we skin tested her for it and the doctor said to go ahead and test her again. That was a really bad idea. She reacted and got her second epipen shot. And still the skin test is negative. I don't think that the doctor beleives me that it was the flax. None the less she is not getting flax again until she is blood teseted first and then a food challenge done in the doctors office. She has also been retested for soy (skin test) and it was negative. The doctor siad to try soy now. I left her a message saying that I did not want to try her on soy until she has been blood tested first. Is this how your doctor is supposed to proceed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:22 pm 

My allergist always has me bring in a sample of the actual food and he skin-tests me with that. For example, I tested negative to corn on a standard skin test but when he tested me with actual corn, I reacted (and I do react if I eat it) Cooking or processing can often change the composition of a food so he always prefers to test with the real, actual food. He is not the greatest doctor for stuff like bedside manner and taking the time to listen if I talk to him, but I like the way he tests for things because my GP does not take me seriously at all as far as this stuff goes.

Misc (pollen, grass, mold, dogs, cats)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:48 am 

Hi

Just wanted to say that you are not alone with the "not showing up in allergies tests". Apples for me had only appeared about two years ago on skin test. The allergy started mild in '89 and by '96 I couldn't have anything that said "may contain apples". I'd wait for the blood test. You know your kid and your gut.

Just keep remembering that "A mother knows best".