You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:50 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:41 pm 

Medic Alert Canada has a program for children 4-14 years, where if the school division registers, students are able to get FREE medic alert membership and one piece of ID. Sounds awesome. WELL, I contacted our school division and they told me they WILL NOT participate in the program due to liability. They feel that it would be expected that they made sure children wear their MA bracelets nad if they don't they would be responsible. I think that is ridiculous. I would think that the 5000 schools that participate in the program don't feel that way. They also said that they have good emergency plans and this might confuse people. I say, what about my gr 1 student who might have a reaction in the playground - is the grade 6 teacher on duty going to recall that he carries and epi-pen if my son can't tell him or tries to get out of having his EPi given by denying symptoms (not sure if that would happen). OR, they could further save children by participating - what if that child has a reaction in the mall where people are unaware of the allergies and the bracelet saves their lives!! THe benefits are SO numerous and they are being so stubborn. I'm actually going to write a long letter to the superintendent and if that does not help, I will go to the media. SO, with that, any suggestions of what to put in the letter? I'll post a draft once it is written. This is got me so fired-up, they WILL participate!!!

BTW - this program is sponsored by the Canadian government, I hardly believe that would put money into a program if they thought there were liabilities!

Check out the program at www.nochildwithout.ca so that you can help me out!!

Benjamin - ana to peanut, egg, sesame & kiwi, asthma, eczema
Mattea - outgrew FPIES to a host of things!!!

Last edited by Kimjoy on Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:31 am 
Site Admin

This is appalling! I am most indignant!

According to Tony Clement, Minister of Health,
Quote:
With an increasing number of Canadian children suffering from conditions such as allergies, asthma, diabetes, and epilepsy, parents, caregivers and school administrators have reason to be concerned. These conditions can be life-threatening if emergencies are not treated appropriately and promptly.

For this reason, the Government of Canada announced a $5 million contribution to the Canadian MedicAlert Foundation's No Child Without campaign, which will allow children across Canada with medical conditions, allergies, or special needs to be protected by the MedicAlert program.

The program will provide children in junior kindergarten up to 14 years of age with a free bracelet and membership that will make critical information available during a medical emergency. The program will be implemented in all 12,000 of Canada's elementary schools over the next five years

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/ahc-asc/minist/m ... 01-eng.php

I would send a copy of this to the principal and e-mail Mr Clement requesting that he personally request that this school cooperate. I would contact my local MP and ask that they liaise on my behalf as well. I would contact the local Lions Club chapter and advise them as this is thier original project.

I would not hesitate to go to the media...that school division (is that the school board?) is putting their perception of liability ahead of the Canadian Governments mandates regarding child safety. Do they have some precidence showing another school has been liable?

This program is not just food allergies it is for all children who have medical conditions requiring MedicalAlert bracelets. They are setting up roadblocks for those without additional means to get the necessary medical support. Do you have any poverty rights groups who could get behind this? There are many real expenses for us and to have the cost just one item picked up by the government means so much for many of us. (Even cheap soy milk is approx 2x the price of cows milk)

If this is indicative of the attitudes of Manitoba Schools, perhaps more needs to be done to increase the pressure of that government to create a law or at least a ministerial order ensuring that all children are afforded the same protection and reasources as the government lays out.

Ooh, this makes me mad! :evil:

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:04 pm 

I've mentioned it to the principal at my son's school. She though it was a great idea. When I later asked her about it, she had forgotten and hadn't applied.

I don't know whether the school is on the waiting list or not now, and as it's my son's last year at this school, I don't think it matters for us.

Susan, great advice you've offered. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:59 pm 

Our school board has chosen to participate and our school was one of the first to be selected. The school has only the job of distributing the information to each child. Each package has a bar coded "flyer" that the parent uses when they contact Medic Alert to get the free bracelet. The parent has to complete all of the information so the school plays a small role in the whole process. We were already members so there was very little to do to enroll. So now we don't have to pay each each year! One less cost to us.

The benefit to the school is that they get a printout of the children enrolled in the program and some of the medical information. It is one more check that the school is aware of any potentially serious medical conditions of its students. This program is not only a benefit to allergic children but also children with communication disorders (autism for example) and other serious medical conditions (asthma, heart conditions, etc).

Don't let this go! Perhaps the media would be interested in this story as Susan mentioned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:52 pm 
Site Admin

Kim,

AL has been made aware of this kind of situation before. I strongly advise contacting Clifford Leigh-Mossley, who is the MedicAlert's point person with the school boards for the NCW program. Perhaps he can get through to the board, sort them out about this misguided concern about liability, and get them on board.

His e-mail is clmossley@medicalert.ca - and feel free to mention that the editor of Allergic Living suggested you get in touch. Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:18 pm 
Site Admin

Hmm...if it is called "No Child WIthout" and one has to apply through your school, what do home schoolers do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:09 am 

From what I understand school districts are not signing up for this "FREE" program because there is an associated cost that a school district must cover. That is what I was told by my school district. Has anyone else been told this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:43 am 
Site Admin

I do not believe there is any costs to the schools.

See the funding here: http://www.nochildwithout.ca/board_info.asp

Again, I'd contact Clifford Leigh-Mossley, the MA rep. for this program if encountering board questions, lack of awareness. See earlier post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:36 pm 

UPDATE:Well, I found out in November that our school division has enrolled in the No Child Without program! They will have their training in January 2009. I'm so pleased that my letter writing did not go unheard. This will benefit a few kids I know. The principal was already asking me about it and I spoke briefly about the program to our parent advisory council. Hurray! :D

Benjamin - ana to peanut, egg, sesame & kiwi, asthma, eczema
Mattea - outgrew FPIES to a host of things!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:58 am 
Site Admin

That is good news! :D

I am certain that it was all due to your efforts and I am also certain that other children (and families) will reap the benefits of your hard work!

Well done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:21 pm 
Site Admin

Kim, That's great news.

Good for you; I'm sure your efforts played a significant part.
They might not have looked more closely at the program had you not been the squeaky wheel.

Hope it all works out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:54 am 

We just received our free bracelet in the mail last week. We delayed having a new one engraved until we had some recent testing done. Anyways, I am disappointed with it. The bracelet we received now has an additional little "charm" on it right near the clasp. On the charm is the Lions club emblem. It is about 2 cm long so it is not really small especially when it is on a little girl's wrist.

Now I think that it is great that the Lions club has sponsored this program but... I really did not want this on the bracelet. My daughter and I want a simple bracelet. She does not want to draw a lot of attention to herself. The other problem with the charm is that it makes the bracelet harder to fit - I think. Since the charm takes the place of flexible links. This new bracelet is the same size as her other one (lengthwise) but it does not fit comfortably on the wrist. I will have to talk to Medic Alert about this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:31 am 

My 12 y/o had to get a new bracelet too and was not impressed with the Lions logo. It was not worth the roughly $10 savings --- wish they had mentioned it. Think I will call them and ask for new one without the Lions logo. (they don't provide it free when it is a replacement).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:58 am 
Site Admin

Good to know, I have the form ready to send in but I need to measure her wrist. I think I'll add 2cm and have the logo removed!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:05 pm 

My son got his bracelet this week. It took less then one week from when I called to order it.

He has no complaints about the Lions Club logo added on -- it took one evening and he was used to it. The entire bracelet is a bit heavier then his old one -- the chain links are thicker -- and I got it a bit bigger then his old one was, so he did have a bit of adjusting to it being looser on his wrist. He's OK about it now. I think they have the right to advertise, and I appreciate their willingness to do this. BUT, if it bothers your child, get a new chain at a jewellry store for it.

walooet, I don't understand your reference to saving only $10. The bracelet itself costs more then that -- plus we don't have to pay the annual fee until age 14 or 15 (can't remember). That's more then $10 per year.

********edited because I can't spell***********

Last edited by AnnaMarie on Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.