You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:55 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:06 pm 

My son, who we found out (on our holidays) is anaphylactic to eggs starts grade 1 tomorrow. Fortunately, tomorrow is only a half day. But Thursday is a full day, including lunch program. Since we only found out about the allergy last week, we do not have an emergency plan in place...yet. I'm supposed to be meeting with the divisional nurse, but have not even heard from her. The principal was very reassuring about their training when I spoke with her last week, but she also said that our school only has 2 kids (including mine) with Epi's. I'm so worried for him, especially at lunch. I don't yet trust him enough not to take food from others. I'm actually feeling nauseous just thinking about it...seriously. Here are a few of my random thoughts. Peanut allergies (my other son has a peanut allergy, so i"m NOT bashing) seem to be more prevalent and understood. I don't want people thinking "it's only egg". He could DIE from it!! So in preparation for school, I've printed out the signs of anaphylaxis, how to administer the Epi and the Emergency plan from the ALlergy Safe community website (which I just found yesterday and think is an AWESOME website, and Canadian!!). Not sure what I will do about Thursday lunch. I'm going to speak with the principal tomorrow to find out the lunch cleaning policies, how he'll be supervised etc, and bring in the 2nd Epi - he will also be carrying one on his very cute KozyEpi pouch (I love that website too).

Any tips from a been-there-done-that mama, or papa?

Thanks,

Benjamin - ana to peanut, egg, sesame & kiwi, asthma, eczema
Mattea - outgrew FPIES to a host of things!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:05 pm 

I can understand your stress. I am very anxious about back to school too. I went in before school to chat with dd's teacher and impress upon her the severity of the allergy and the black and white rules we have:

1. Only food from home-no excpetions ( I brought in peanut/treenu free treats)
2. Epipen is worn at all times ( yeah kozyepi!)
3. She must sit at the front of the bus on the door side so that the driver can see her.

If you go onto the epipen canada website, you can order a free information pack that includes trainers, posters and dvd. That might be helpful for the school.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:07 am 
Site Admin

Kimjoy-How did it go?

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb