You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:38 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:31 am 

I took my vegan teen to the Doc for ear trouble a few days ago. We updated the Doc allergy list and he asked if the allergist had said if she can have shots with egg in it. I said no she hasn't been to an allergist in a bit. He said how do you know that she is anaphalais to egg, beef, and chicken. I said well the hves the sweeling lips and the itchy reaction along with the hard to breath thing told me. I did not use the word anaphalaxis because most doc say what happens during anaphalaxis so I cut out that quesition. He said well if the allergist hasn't said she can't have the flu vac then she can have it. :shock: . I said doesn't that have egg used in it. He said yes. :roll: My 16 year old got off the table and said can I leave now! (smart kid) I said she won't be getting that shot.
So he went on to tell me about a mom who had miss diagnosed her child for 5 years. bla bla bla. I looked at him and said I am not that mom I know what anaphalxis is!

In a nut shell I think he is the only Doc in that practice my kids will never see again!

Allergic to tons and tons of food as well as perfumes, scented air sprays and cleaners. Hubby to Fish, ds #2 Shellfish, youngest to Eggplant, potato, Caesin, Raw Tomato & spinach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:43 am 
Site Admin

Oh Karen! That's just incredible. First assure your daughter that no one can give her medications against her will or yours unless it is a very special circumstance (unconcious, legal situation) and that she was right to decide to have nothing to do with this Dr when he stopped respecting you and her.

Health care is a group of individuals who work towards the common goal of good health for the patient and this group must involve the patient. Dignity and respect are fundamental.

In Canada, because of our health care system, you may wait a long time to see an allergist but you can usually access one. In the USA, many people simply cannot afford to seek medical attention beyond the basics.

I think this Dr is pompous and ignorant of the situation in his own backyard. I suspect that his intensions may have been good. He might have thought that he was educating you to what true allergies are and he may have had some past experience where a lay person avoided foods and treatment unnecessarily but he needs to conduct a focused evaluation of the patient in front of him. I would write a letter to that practice.

What did all of this have to do with her ear trouble? By the way food allergies and ear infections can go hand in hand because you can have chronic inflamation/fluid in the middle ear. This is what our paediatrician and allergist informed us when our daughter was small and suseptible to ear infections. She out grew it though.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:19 am 

The allergy and ear infections I knew about. She has improved alot. I just hate the fact that I can not take her to an allergist not that it would do any good she can only avoid her allergiens. Of course they would only tell me what I already know as well. I find it a bit useless honestly. :roll:

Allergic to tons and tons of food as well as perfumes, scented air sprays and cleaners. Hubby to Fish, ds #2 Shellfish, youngest to Eggplant, potato, Caesin, Raw Tomato & spinach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:19 pm 
Site Admin

Would it be cheaper to take out travellers insurance and visit Canada?
I actually knew someone who did this to take advantage of the USA MRI machines. It was cheaper and faster than waiting on the list for the Canadian health care.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb