Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:30 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Asthma School Spike
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:44 pm 
Site Admin

Since writing this story on the asthma spike that happens with school kids, I've run into
4 friends with kids who got asthma symptoms right around the 17-day mark after return to school.

http://www.allergicliving.com/features.asp?copy_id=129

Wondered if forum members saw it in their kids, too? Or got sick themselves from cold germs brought home from school?

Seems like a pretty crazy phenomenon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:28 pm 
Site Admin

I heard about this spike 3 years ago. It helps that my mother worked at McMaster U.
We don't see it in our daughter but I see it in others. We increase her Flovent in the beginning of September in part to combat this. We drop her down from 2 puffs 2x daily to 1 puff daily (at half dose) for the summer and gradually work it back starting the last week of August. I have to argue with her Dr but, I like to have a puffer in case she gets a cold or some other asthma trigger during the summer, plus when we stopped it completely she always had a really bad attack.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:22 am 

Yes, I got sick before my son (I volunteer in his class some days) and then he got sick -- and we're both usually quite healthy. He's been doing some battling with respiratory symptoms since the cold -- so I think at this point it's cold/asthma/allergy issues all combined. It's so hard to know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:51 am 
Site Admin

One of the moms I spoke to also thinks her son (9) gets a bit "stressed out" about going back to school – though he enjoys it once he's through the door. That can be an asthma trigger, too.

Plus he's got hay fever and he caught a cold right away at school. So I guess he was a walking natural for an increase in asthma symptoms. They adjusted his meds now, but he was off school for a few days last week.

Susan, sounds like you guys are really prepared for this. Impressive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:03 pm 
Site Admin

Did I mention my mother was a research scientist at McMaster? I was getting a lot of information regarding children and asthma as it was happening a few years ago.
In fact when I requested a referral to a Paediatric Respirologist, I told our Paediatrician that if he didn't feel it was necessary, he would have to discuss it with my mother. :oops:
Too much?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:58 pm 
Site Admin

Hey, if you've got a research scientist in the family, you gotta flaunt that sometimes.

Does she work with the AllerGen team at all?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:33 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Does she work with the AllerGen team at all?

I'm not sure, I'll ask her. :)

Oh, and I have a sister at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester Minnesota who is also a research scientist working on nerve regeneration. I can't understand much of the conversation when the two of them get going, but from what I gather, it sounds promising.
(flaunt, flaunt) :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:18 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
50% of patients use their inhalation devices inappropriately, reducing the effectiveness of their medication.

Boulet LP, Becker A, Be´rube´ D, Beveridge R, Ernst P. Canadian Asthma Consensus Report, 1999. Canadian Asthma Consensus Group. Can Med Assoc J. 1999;161(11 Suppl):S1-61.

Not me, or so I thought and maybe you’re thinking the same thing. I read everything I can. I make the appointments to see the Dr. I like to think that I am vigilant without being obsessed.

So when I learned that the method of breathing with of the child’s’ yellow aerochamber (6 breathes per puff) is very different from that the blue areochamber (completely exhale and then slowly inhale and hold it for 5-10 seconds-1 deep breath per puff) I was shocked.

If you are using a spacer device to administer asthma medication, take a moment to check the instructions.

Here are the instruction downloads for Trudell spacers: http://www.trudellmed.com/Consumers/cn_ ... ctions.asp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:32 pm 
Site Admin

Time to re-raise this issue. Most people decrease their asthma medication in the summer, if you do, you may want to talk to your Dr about increasing it again now.

I happened to see a couple of .pdf articles from the Asthma Society of Canada.

Asthma Basics 123, An Action Kit for Canadian Schools (English)
12 page article for schools

Dear Parent Letter (English)
a simple form letter that the schools can use to communicate with parents re: any symptoms they notice.
http://www.asthma.ca/corp/services/publications.php
(scroll down to the bottom)

Post subject: Re: Asthma School Spike
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:12 am 
Site Admin

If you've stopped using your controller meds during the summer, now is the time to get your prescription renewed!