You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:11 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:27 pm 

I love my coffee with cream. But I hate the fact that I can't drink my coffee than go kiss my son until I have washed my mouth out. Or that I have to be super careful that I don't get any coffee on my hands and then touch him or anything he may touch. One of his worst reactions was from touching a dried spot of coffee with creamer that dripped on onto table. I have tried to find a dairy-free creamer that tastes like real cream but so far no luck. Anyone have any suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:42 pm 

http://www.silksoybeverage.ca/en/products/forcoffee.php

We use this one. It works well in recipes like milk free cream of mushroom soup too.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:03 am 

I love Rich's Coffee Rich in my tea. It is soy-based as well. I switched to it when nursing my dairy-allergic son years ago, and ended up staying with it because I founded that milk in tea tasted gross after that!

You find it in the freezer section, often near the frozen fruit. Not all stores carry it, sadly. We actually have to go across the river to Ottawa to get it.

I tried to find a picture of what the Canadian product looks like but couldn't. Here is a US version (I assume) that looks similar:

http://www.richs.com/misc.cfm?itemid=25313

Funnily enough, when I was allergic to milk as a child, I used to use watered down Coffee Rich (called Dairy Rich back then, I think) instead of milk on my cereal. Beat the heck out of orange juice, which was the fallback when we ran out of Coffee Rich. (OJ on cereal is an acquired taste, is all I can say....)

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:26 am 

Theirs a product called dairi free. Its virtually allergen free, no eggs dary soy wheat and so on and its high in calcium. Its made by medallion milk and tastes good in coffee. I also found that if I warm up a cup of rice milk and then add instant coffe it tastes like a cafe late.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:20 pm 

Evelyne wrote:
Theirs a product called dairi free. Its virtually allergen free, no eggs dary soy wheat and so on and its high in calcium. Its made by medallion milk and tastes good in coffee. I also found that if I warm up a cup of rice milk and then add instant coffe it tastes like a cafe late.

Are you talking about Vance's DariFree? I have looked all over for this because I hear it's great to use to make ice cream, but I can't find it anywhere. The only Canadian online store that I've found hasn't answered any of my emails asking about prices and shipping. Here's the site. I guess I should just try reaching them by phone. http://www.gatewest.net/~medalion/NewFiles/darifee.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:37 pm 

I like the soy based creamer from Silk. It is not quite as rich as real cream, but it's still quite tasty.

Daughter #1 eczema, asthma, and allergic to eggs, dairy, beef, nuts, soy, wheat, dogs, cats, and grass
Husband intolerant to dairy, allergic to grass and dust
Daughter #2 "outgrew" allergy to dairy and egg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:22 am 
Site Admin

Diana_ We found Vance's Dair-free at a health food store in town. Call around and see if you can too. Some stores are willing to carry items if you ask. They can't know about every product.

Because they speak on their website about autism, I would also suggest you contact the local autism support group to see if they are aware of how you can purchase this product locally. They might do group orders that you can piggy back with.

I'm not aware of the dietary issues with autism but there seems to be a connection at least from Vance's website.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject: Dari Free
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:12 am 

Medallion milk makes Dari free and its made in Winnipeg. I buy directly from them. The other places i've seen it sold are gluten free stores. (more expensive though)