You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:05 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Birthday Parties
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:24 pm 

I am just looking for some general opinions on the subject of how to handle Birthday parties. Not our families own, but when my son is invited to one. He is getting to the age now where he is being invited. How do I handle the peanut allergy? Do I let him go? Do I insist on staying? When food is out, how do you tell him he can't have Birthday cake? Help. Obviously my son's life is more important than any party, but I don't want to exclude him from a social life. Your opinions would be helpful. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:02 pm 

We recently had a similar discussion here: http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... php?t=1880

I don't think there is any easy way of telling your child that they can't always eat the food that others are enjoying. But for us, that's the reality of it. I as simply as possible, just tell him the truth about why he can't eat some foods. I've discovered that he's incredibly resilient and more often than not, the things I worry about him feeling, don't even phase him. Because he's grown up with his food allergy, this is just part of life for him. We worry because we (without food allergies) perceive the loss because it's different from how we had to live as children. I try to focus on how tasty his treats are and if he expresses being upset on any level, I discuss the situation with him and acknowledge that at times it can be pretty crummy having a food allergy, but in the grand scheme of things we handle it just fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:43 pm 

Lianne -my daughter is 3 and she loves the Alexander The Elephant books since she relates so well to them. They have a great one about going to birthday parties with allergies and the allergic child bringing their own piece of cake or cupcake. We actually went to a b-day party today where their was no cake (our neighbour) but was going to be pizza that my daughter could have eaten. I gave her the choice and she actually asked me to pack & bring her own safe food:)

You can get the books through AAIA or Anaphalaxis Canada.

J

2 yr old DS -no known allergies!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:16 pm 
Site Admin

No peanut allergy here (just egg and milk). We've gone to a lot of parties and at 5 we still stay for them all. I have sent her own food and a cupcake, on a few occasions we have made the cake. If I am sending food, I try to send her version of the same foor or something that is special to her.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:20 pm 

We also have found the Alexander the Elephant books to be so helpful. Our son always brings his own "special, safe treat" to parties and hasn't complained once. I always make sure it's something that he really likes, and rotate b/w cake and cupcakes at different parties. If you have a great nut free bakery close by order a cake, cut it up and freeze. We bring along a container from the freezer and then I always know that he's safe with the dessert. I also always bring along a slice of pizza that I made and know is safe along with some chopped up veggies/ safe snacks just in case I'm not sure about the food at the party.