You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:37 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Help for friend
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:46 pm 

I sent a friend of mine for help here, but I can't find her - so I will ask for help for her!

Her year old daughter was just diagnosed with allergies to nuts, peanut, sesame, dairy, eggs, soy... I think that is all.

Anyway, she is, needless to say, frantic. She is trying desperately to go back to work and figure out what to feed a beginning, picky eater who is allergic to most foods.
She spoke with Karen and is coming to the next Ottawa meeting, but in the meantime - any advice? She went to a dietician who seemed to forget they were talking about a one year old who really does not eat a lot yet.

You've been so great for others, can you help one more???

Stefanie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:37 pm 

What about sticking with plain foods -- like fruit, or vegetables, or meat. (Trying desperately to remember one year olds.)

She might have to try baking her own bread. I'll check what i have in the freezer to see if any of it is free of all those allergens.

ETA: I've found a kosher bakery that is peanut/sesame seed free. If she can find a bakery like that near her, she can talk to them about the other allergens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:50 am 
Site Admin

Dairy and soy is a hard combination however it can be done.

As AnnaMarie said, stick to want she can eat. There is a potato based milk alternative called Vance's Dari-free.

If the child is still nursing, I would encourage continuing with that and possibly weaning from breast milk to the milk alternative of choice by serving the milk in a sippy cup and slowing increasing the ration of milk alternative to breast milk.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:28 am 

All sounds good. Actually everyone is suggesting she STOP nursing as she continues to eat SOME of the allergens.
Baby is picky about fruit and Mom is worried there are some alleriges there.
None of her kids have ever been big drinkers and she had trouble getting ALL of them off the breast!

Keep 'em coming - I will pass these along to her.

MUCH thanks!

Stefanie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:06 pm 
Site Admin

Personally, I would be inclined to tell her to avoid the known allegens and continue breatfeexding. It would be hard to ensure that a one year old could eat suffient qualities of various foods to ensure adequate nutrition. Mom on the other hand can.

There is rice milk and as I stated a potato alternative. You need to consider that a 1 year old needs a certain amount of fat in their diet and that is why 2% milk is not recommende for those under 2 years of age.

Mom (and Dad) need to consult with a registered dietician to figure out what the 1 year old needs in terms of ammount of quality fat, calcium, protien etc and how to create a diet to ensure these needs are met.

If she stops breast feeding what suplemental formula is soy and dairy free? It will take some time to introduce enough foods (the recommended rate is to introduce 1 food at a time and to give it several times over a week to determine if it is tolerated.) to produce a balanced diet.

If the child is not tolerating any food stop giving it and keep track of what is tolerated and what isn't. Certain fruits and vegetables belong in the same family so if one is not tolerated others may not be as well (or they could-allergies are strange that way).

Good luck!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject: help for a friend
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:52 am 

Hi Stefteach,
Our son had his first severe reaction to peanut trace at 6 months old. We rushed him to the ER covered in hives and his head was so swollen his eyes were shut....all this from me kissing him after eating peanut butter. At first our son only showed severe allergies to tree nuts and peanuts. Except for green peas and green beans (legume family)he's never eaten any of the food groups he's allergic to. Over the past few months he's had more and more rections to apparent trace (from us kissing him etc. after we had eaten) . He was sent last week to be re-tested. In just four months his allergies have grown as you can see from listed below. I know exaclty how your friend feesl, it is overwhelming and as a mom I am just frantic and it can be very emotional trying to grocery shop lately. I find his age especially difficult as he is so young and touches everything. I too need tips on what to feed a one year old. Here are a few suggestions that work for us.
- I steam and dice all sorts of veggies (excluding legumes)
- I sometimes puree veggies and then mix in corn and shredded meat, the puree helps him swallow the drier foods.
-Gerber makes some toddler finger snacks which he likes
- diced apple and peeled/ diced grapes are a favorite
-minigo yogurts
-regular cheerio's

With us now having to avoid sesame, egg and fish if anyone has suggestions for bread, crackers etc. PLEASE let me know.!!
Good luck to your friend.

= - )
BC2007

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Post subject: Re: help for a friend
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:47 pm 

BC2007 wrote:

With us now having to avoid sesame, egg and fish if anyone has suggestions for bread, crackers etc. PLEASE let me know.!!

El Peto makes some great breads (potatoe bread and raisin bread are our fav's, toasted and drizzled with olive oil/jam).

www.elpeto.coom

I gave my son rice cakes with he was younger (rice crackers, I felt, were too hard). You can also buy rice puffs, corn puffs and quinoa puffs (if quinoa is a safe food for you). We've also used corn cakes as a 'cracker' alternative. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of the manufacturer.

Post subject: help for a friend
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:44 am 

Panacea
Thanks for the tips, greatly appreciated. I'll check out the El Peto products.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish