You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:37 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Mould
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:55 pm 

Seems the education powers that be are at it again....shut up a school for summer months, unplug the fridges, and have an extremely hot and humid summer...guess what? Great environment for mould to grow and grow and grow...
sorry, needed to vent - need some opinions - I have more concern that they are making this stuff airbourne now that they are trying to clean it up...anyone else put an air purifier in a teacher's classroom? The teachers here think I'M mental...

I've got 2 kids who are triggered with mild breathing issues inhaling air in a damp, mouldy, musty room (usually some other kids basement playroom)...which in the younger (4ys old) seems to lead to pnumonia as for some reason, his body seems to think everything is a virus.

By the by, any opinions on when the right time is to go to hospital for a ventolin mask? I've asked 3 different doctors, and they don't necessarily agree.

Oh, and I wouldn't recommend prednizone for an already active 4 yr old - talk about "wired" - thank god it was only a week! I know, its the best stuff for respitory issues, but man o man was he ever "spun".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:19 pm 

buzimom-2000

Oh that sounds so :( awful. You are correct the damp and humidity yucky.

I was told about a whistle you can get for young childern. I do not where you are to but I know there is store to Ottawa. I am going to buy one for our Cody(godson) he has really bad asthma. Here is the link:

http://www.theallergyshop.ca/

I know what that medince is like. I do not like to take it also, I am a grown up. I was on a steriod for awhile in living to Manitobia years ago. Now I only get it while in the ER
Kelly

Post subject: whistle
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:48 pm 

Hey that looks like a neat idea - thank you for the website - now I just need to figure out where their (my kids) flow should be....
My dr's here have been going by the little man's panting and the blood oxygen monitor -
A Peak Flow monitor has not been recommended to me by any dr - guessing that my kids' asthma has been manageable just by puffers because I only use them when they have colds, or had an environmental trigger. They just seem to labour - not into what I would call an "attack" where they are gasping for air.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:05 pm 
Site Admin

I'm still trying to figure this stuff out. Is the peak flow meter to asthma, what the blood sugar testingis to diabetes?
Can you adjust the controller medicine when the asthma is starting to get bad so that you can avoid a true medical emergency where they literally can't breathe?
I'd be all for that!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:08 pm 

My understanding from my old allergiest who gave me the peak flow metre. Is that I test my normal breathing, which is pretty good. When I have reaction I have to test myself if it is at a certain level I go to the hosp.
To the hospitial they also test through your finger how much oxgyen you are getting. If it is at a certain level you receive the oxgyen. Like when you are turning blue from not getting the oxgyen. I have done that and my Godson was doing it also. Like when I was passing out and at the hosp and they took me into the ER, my blood level for oxgyen was low. They did not worry about the peak flow metre that day.
These tests show how much your lungs are working and if you are getting your oxygen.
Me I still can reach a good number in the peak flow, but today I am congested and have dropped by 50 points. Another 100 points and to the E R I go.
I can reach 400 if I am really good, today I am 350. If I drop to 250 off I go to the ER. I have been lower then 250 before. That was scary.... I was told to montior myself like you said a diabetic would do. Good example! Susan. :D
Well, there is a smog warning today and they used chemicals at to the Post Office down the road from me.
So when I go into the hosp they ask what my readings were. Then they do their work.
My allergiest set this all up for me to know when to go the ER. Today the Doctors still follow what she set up and that was 17 years ago.
Kelly