Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:24 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Crafting supplies...
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:22 pm 

Hi,

My almost 2yo daughter has recently "graduated" to the older group at daycare. Pretty much everyday, they have an arts & craft project. Well, last week, the plan was to do playdough, so they sat everyone down at the main table, and my little one, on a separate table with crayons because they knew playdough wasn't "safe". Apparently, she was pretty upset about being singled out and wanted to do the same as everyone else (she's the youngest in her group). I'm very glad they are keeping her safe, but I felt sad she had to be isolated... and she's starting to realize it...

This morning, the educator asked me if I could find her craft supplies that are safe. I know most Crayola stuff is fine for all her allergies, so I'll get her some crayons and paints but anyone know of some type of modeling clay I could buy that she could use when others do playdough. And is white glue safe for wheat/egg/dairy, or should I use those 'gel' type glues instead?

This arts thing is all new to me, as we've only done stickers and crayons so far only...
Anyone have tips on this?

Thanks,

DS Francois - 1 - No allergies so far...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:56 am 
Site Admin

I'm not sure if this would work, I just googled "wheat free playdough" and saw this recipe.
Quote:
Ingredients

225g/2 cups rice flour.
225g/2 cups salt (makes it unpalatable to eat).
15 ml/1 tbsp cream of tartar.
30 ml/2 tbsp sunflower oil.
250 ml/1 cup water.
3 tablespoons of oil (any cheap cooking oil).
A few drops of food colouring (optional).
How to make it

Mix the flour, salt and cream of tartar in a saucepan.
Add the oil and gradually blend in the water and food colouring, if using.
Cook over moderate heat, stirring, until mixture is stiff and leaves the sides of the pan clean.
Leave until cool enough to handle, then knead gently on the work surface until smooth. Store in airtight container.

http://www.childlearningsupport.com/pla ... ecipes.htm

We feel very strongly about our daughter being accepted allergy and all at her daycare and school. Children learn more than just the 3R's at school. They learn compassion, respect and acceptance of each others differences. There is no reason the lesson plan can;t be adapted to safely include all children. Is the lesson plan a focus on fine motor co-ordination or 3-D crafting to develop spacial conception? Surely one can come up with an activity where all children can participate.

I would be upset if I paid for a program that wouldn't allow my child to participate because they choose activities that ostracized her.

I'm sure you'll find a recipe that your daughter can use. Maybe try these as well:

Gak recipe:
http://www.omsi.edu/visit/playground/activities.cfm

Homemade Floam recipe:
http://www.kidprintables.com/boards/sho ... .php?t=154

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:37 am 

Hey! I can totally relate to that story and I am remembering our daycare. I found for us in that setting, it worked well to try to find out what types of crafts the teacher thought they might do (not just the next day but ad hoc when they need to pull something from their sleeves on tough days) and then do the research on my own - I ended up providing supplies for the classroom (eg flour with no egg risk) so that they could do the crafts as a class without DD having separate activities. Wasn't always perfect, and definitely more $ and time on our part, but worth it for us It didn't resolve the unique food situation but at least minimised the "difference"
Helped me to remember that the teachers/centre don't LIVE WITH our intensity - I found bulking up on supplies and ideas (it was welcomed) became more of a teacher's aide than a special case.

Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:10 am 

I know there are recipes for playdough that use corn starch...If you made a big batch and corn was not an issue, you could provide enough for everyone so your kid can participate with her friends...

http://www.ehow.com/how_13563_make-cornstarch-play.html

I've made this before (not this exact recipe, but cooked cornstarch playdough) and it is really nice and smooth...it lasts for months in the fridge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:12 am 
Site Admin

When our daughter was small like that she often came home with crafts such as pictures cut from grocery ads and glued to paper plates to create a "meal".

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb