You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:02 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: menu help
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:00 pm 

I'm new to the allergy/intolerance world and I've just been advised that I'm to take yeast, wheat, oats, and garlic out of my diet. I'm only allowed chicken and tomatoes twice a week.

So with my favourite foods eliminated, now what do I eat? Every recipe I find is either yeast free or wheat free or oat free, but never all three. And to add to the fun, I seem to be sensitive to artificial sweeteners like aspartame and sorbitol. HELP! Any advice on cook books, web sites or recipes to start with would be greatly appreciated.

Becks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:22 pm 

When you have to eliminate several things, the best thing to do is really go back to basics. No pre-packaged processed foods. Just make big batches of things you can eat and you can eat them throughout the week, This book is great to start: http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/Who ... ok+-+Books

Also, don't be afraid to change things around. If it suggests using chicken but you can't eat it anymore, switch it for another source of protein: turkey, beef, veal, pork, even beans if you can eat them. It's hard but being creative with what you CAN eat is the key.
Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:27 pm 

Try the website for Food Allergy Survivors Together, they have several recipes posted that are free of many allergens. http://www.angelfire.com/mi/FAST/recipes.html

I also like EatingWithFoodAllergies.com, which tries to provide recipes that are free from the top 8 allergens.

If nothing else, these have given me ideas so that I can come up with my own variations! Good Luck.

Daughter #1 eczema, asthma, and allergic to eggs, dairy, beef, nuts, soy, wheat, dogs, cats, and grass
Husband intolerant to dairy, allergic to grass and dust
Daughter #2 "outgrew" allergy to dairy and egg