You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:03 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:47 pm 

My life has just been changed for the better with the discovery of Compliments brand boxed meat products. I had been avoiding this whole section of our grocery store because a.) I just assumed it would be full of my daughter's allergens (anaphylactic to milk, allergic to egg, formerly allergic to peanuts and tree nuts, now undetectable on the immuno cap...there is a god). Anyway, I finally had a bit of time while shopping recently and strayed over to the frozen food aisle and quickly found six products that were a-ok, with excellent allergy warnings, clearly written with colour-coded icons. Fantastic. Here's what I found: chipotle chicken breasts, extra lean turkey burgers; no meat burgers; extra lean pork souvlaki (I believe the chicken was also fine), extra lean turkey meatballs, and Atlantic salmon burgers. All fine for those with dairy, egg, and peanut and nut allergies! And everything I have tried so far has been delicious.

Daughter -- asthma; anaphylactic (6/6 on the immuno cap) to milk, allergic to egg, formerly allergic to peanuts and nuts, outgrown status still to be confirmed
Self -- no allergies
Husband -- asthma; pollen allergies; various suspected food intolerances or allergies, including something in beer and possibly milk products

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:48 pm 

Wow I have never looked to far into these items also. I will have to take a look for them now. Thanks. Compliments is at which grocery store again?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:48 pm 

I also appreciate Compliements labelling. It labels for what it has AND what it doesn't. Very easy to read and understand. No double talk.

I feel the same about Dare Foods. Very clear labelling.

It would be nice if the new labelling law people took examples from these companies on how to "do it right.

M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:20 pm 

Here's a previous discussion: http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... php?t=1442 and another: http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... php?t=1691
I haven't spoken to their Customer Service Reps. lately. I know a couple of years ago, they had 2 people in the office -- very friendly and accommodating, but I did have some problems getting answers on info. that wasn't readily available to them. Perhaps the office has grown and service has improved since then. I really do like their labelling and their efforts at providing info. to the food allergic community.

Post subject: compliments
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:51 pm 

Thanks ethansmom -- now I'm even more sold on this brand!

It's so great when private companies take it upon themselves to go one better than the law requires.

The chipotle chicken burgers are especially good, imo.

I found all of the items I mentioned at our local IGA, but the link to ethansmom's earlier discussion says they can also be found at Sobey's, Price Chopper, Foodland, and Commisso's Food Markets.

Cheers everyone,
Lee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:12 am 
Site Admin

Doesn't your world seem a little bit larger and a little bit brighter when you find a new food which your family can eat?

Thanks for sharing.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:03 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Lee,

Nice to see you on the Forum, welcome, and hope all's well.

That's great about the Compliments brand foods - thanks for sharing. Just wanted to add for those unfamiliar with it that this is the house brand of the Sobey's chain.

Also, noticed your daughter's "outgrown status to be confirmed". Fingers crossed for her/you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 4:54 pm 

I just recently had extra time shopping at Sobeys and I too was impressed with the labelling on the Compliments brand products. I found some crackers that my daughter can safely eat (dairy, egg, and peanut allergy) and now I'll check out the frozen food next time too. Thanks for the heads up!