You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:04 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:46 am 

Hi Everyone:

I had an earlier posting regarding a peanut challenge my daughter was about to undergo.
I am happy to let everyone know that my little Kirsten passed her challenge with flying colors!
For those of you who are interested, they started by skin testing, she still showed a positive skin test, around 5mm. They decided to go ahead with the challenge. It started with crushed smarties, then every 20 mins, they added more peanut m& m's till she was eating only peanut m&m's. By the end of the challenge approximately 4 hours later she had consumed 35 peanut m&m candies. We had absolutely no reactions at all!
We have to give her so much peanuts within a 2 week period and then she can eat peanuts but only under our supervision for the next year. After that we will return to the doctor and if she has had no reactions for the next year, they will declare that she has outgrown her peanut allergy.
She does not like the taste of peanuts at all but is doing her part and eating some every other day.
I just thought I would report that miracles do happen and hopefully we will continue the next year reaction free.

Karen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:57 am 
Site Admin

Karen, fingers crossed for you.

Sounds very promising!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:17 pm 

Wow!
How wonderful. When I was eight and had "outgrown" my milk allergy I still remember starting to drink regular milk. I did not like the taste as with any food an aquired taste has to developed. As an Adult I thought I was allergic to fish and shellfish only to find out years later I am only allergic to shellfish. I like canned tuna but I just can't seem to get a taste for salmon and I am to afraid to try any other fish.
Very happy for you and you daughter. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:25 pm 
Site Admin

I'm so glad that the challenge went well! :)

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:37 am 

That is wonderful, wonderful news! Congrats! :)

Do you mind sharing a bit about your daughter's peanut allergy history for those of us not in the know?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:44 pm 

Woohoo! :D

Congrats! I too would love to hear your daughter's peanut allergy journey. It's nice for us parents to hear nice news like this. Thanks for sharing!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:22 pm 

Were you worried when she still had a positive skin test? I am curious why the doctor went ahead with it. The reason for my questions is that, we are not sure about our daughter's peanut allergy. She has had unclear skin tests to peanut. Mildly positive most times and then one year a negative test. Her blood tests though are high. So on this basis they will not test her. We are not even sure that she has ever reacted to peanuts. We have seen her react to milk and she has had one anaphylactic reaction (we are not sure to which allergen).
It's great news for your daughter.