You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:20 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: milk days at school
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:02 pm 

So at our last school council meeting the principal mentionned that a teacher was interested in setting up the milk program at the school. I didn't say anything - I need to process it and come up with a plan. Any suggestions? I'd like to speak to him next week.

boys' mom
allergies - dairy, egg, nuts, peanuts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:03 am 

could you suggest they use calcium-fortified orange juice instead...that way the kids get the same nutritional benefits, but everyone will be able to be included?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:16 am 
Site Admin

Our school has a milk program for grades 1-6. We haven't had any problems with this. I have told the principal that they might consider juice boxes for those who are avoiding milk as a meals of including all children but I would hope they could keep the juice separate from the milk.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:28 pm 

I never thought about calcium fortified juice - it definitely is something to consider.

Susan, what precautions does your daughter's school take to prevent milk from going all over the desks?

boys' mom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:27 am 
Site Admin

Honestly, not much. Our daughter moves to a nearby table to eat while the students have their lunch andmilk at their desks. They aren't given straws. After their alloted time to eat, the children go out to play and the custodial staff clean the desks.

The children know (grade 2) that if someone spiled their milk they should pop out into the hall and get the teacher. Our daughter knows to stay clear of such spills.

I had felt that getting rid of Pizza Day was such a huge step, that we would take a wait and see approach with the milk program. Especially as the school is having the desks cleaned off right after eating. Also, anytime she has come incontact with milk in the past the hives appeared very quickly and were very obvious (even with residue on a toy) so we hope that it would be noticed before she accidentally placed it in her mouth.

The milk program hasn't started yet this year but we had no incidents last year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:09 pm 

I've just returned to teaching after staying at home with my little one with allergies. I teach in a fairly large school, approx 700 students. They have a milk program. I was appalled at the amount of garbage that the close to 500 milk cartons creates day after day. Students attend school for 194 days in a year, that amounts to 97000 cartons of milk in a year for one school only. Our board alone has some 44000 elementary students. If half of those students order from the milk programs, that represents close to half a million milk cartons a year in our landfills.

And that doesn't even take into account the environmental footprint involved in producing, processing, delivering the milk cartons to all of the hundreds of schools on a daily basis (think gas cost etc...)

With so many schools embarking on environmentally friendly initiatives, I actually wondered if this was a good route to embark on the encourage them to move away from such an enormous garbage issue. In our school they don't even recycle the milk cartons, is that the same in other schools?

Of course the milk board and the milk producers push these programs because they make an enormous amount of profit. International milk day is all about promoting their product and their bottom line.

What an impact it would make to start encouraging parents to use reusable boxes to send their children's milk to school along with an ice pack to keep it cold and to cancel milk programs provincially!!

Who knows, maybe the "maverick" who starts this will win a Nobel prize for their contribution to reducing greenhouse gases!!!

Denise

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:01 am 
Site Admin

Our schools waste disposal contractor (I suppose it isn't the regular city garbage pick up) doesn't take milk cartons. They don't seem to want to colect 2 weeks worth and put them on the curb either. (Can you imagine the pile after 2 weeks?)

Currently, as part of their Earth-friendly program, the school is asking thatstudents bring their garbage home on Wednesdays to dispose of or recycle as appropriate. So each student who partakes of the milk program is bringing their milk carton home. Gross!

At our Parent Council Meeting this week, parents are already complaining abou the mess in the backpacks. I expect that the parents of students who don't have food allergies would support an initiative to recycle the cartons at school.

Maybe we should challenge the milk producers to create better/more appropriate packaging?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:27 pm 

I teach at a school that does have the milk program. Interestingly the milk was not in small cartons but in little bags (they kind of resembled a silicone implant :) ) Anyway kids had to "stab" the bag with their straw to drink - and they couldn't pick up the bag because it would just spill everywhere!!! A lot of kids thought this was gross so in my class of 20, I think only 3 kids had milk.

I mentionned this to my son's principal, who said he would look into it.

boys' mom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:32 am 
Site Admin

I think the distributors of the milk should take away the previous days cartons.
A plan should be in place to deal with the garbage before these programs start up.
The children shouldn't have to bring it home.