You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:13 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Substitutions
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:06 am 

Does anyone have any ideas of what i can use to substitute for butter, yogurt and sourcream when dealing with egg, dairy, soy and nut allergies? My 1 1/2 yr old son was diagnosed a couple months ago and this is sooo hard. If anyone has any good recipes they want to share that would be great too! Or even anyone else with the same allergies for support? Anything.....Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Substitutions
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:53 pm 

Karianne wrote:
Does anyone have any ideas of what i can use to substitute for butter, yogurt and sourcream when dealing with egg, dairy, soy and nut allergies? My 1 1/2 yr old son was diagnosed a couple months ago and this is sooo hard. If anyone has any good recipes they want to share that would be great too! Or even anyone else with the same allergies for support? Anything.....Thanks!

Food Allergy Survivors Together has a website with a recipe for making your own butter, I have found that oil works most of the time, and I also use Spectrum shortening, which is allergy free. If he can tolerate coconut (it is a rare allergy) So Delicious makes a yogurt that is based on coconut milk, and it is yummy! There is also Ricera, a rice milk based yogurt, but we have not tried it. (I can't find it in stores near us.) You can use plain yogurt in place of sour cream in most recipes, and the coconut milk yogurt does not have a coconut flavor, so it should be ok. I like EatingWithFoodAllergies.com for recipe ideas. There are several cookbooks on Amazon that specialize in food allergies. I am amazed though at the number of hits you will get when you search for recipes online. Vegan recipes are a good place to start, but beware of soy and nut in those. You can also search for allergy free recipes. It is amazing!

It is really hard to change the way you are used to cooking, and it will take awhile to get over feeling restricted and overwhelmed. After awhile it gets easier, and you realize how much healthier your family is eating! I am always happy to share recipes I have tried and the kids have liked, as we have similar allergies. I am also happy to help talk through the frustration of learning how to feed a family while avoiding those ingredients!

Good Luck! You will get really good at this sooner than you think!

Daughter #1 eczema, asthma, and allergic to eggs, dairy, beef, nuts, soy, wheat, dogs, cats, and grass
Husband intolerant to dairy, allergic to grass and dust
Daughter #2 "outgrew" allergy to dairy and egg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:06 pm 
Site Admin

Karianne,

Suggestion: Check this thread, http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=389

And also, just check various threads under Dairy and Egg Allergies and also
Recipes and Cooking.

(Some in the dairy thread will be using soy milk. But there are some people dealing with both soy and dariy, too, which does complicate life.).