Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:35 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Apples!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:32 pm 
Site Admin

I love the fall because it's apple season! I have been using my meat slicer to dehydrate apples.

I slice MacIntosh apples 1/2 inch thick (leave the core in and core the slices afterward. I dehydrate them in our dehydrater. They take about 5 hours to dry but less time if you slice them thinner.

I don't know if it's the novelty or what but if I want to bake with them, I have to hide them. It seems everyone wants to snack on these. My daughter even asked for them as her school snack yesterday!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:15 pm 

Susan, we have been considering buying a dehydrator. What brand do you use?

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:59 am 
Site Admin

BC2007- The machine we have is called The Food Dehydrator by Mr. Coffee. It has 6 rays for drying the food and it also has another tray that you can use to make fruit leathers.

I would caution you against reading too much too fast. All of the information can be overwhelming. Post your concerns in the parenting section or questions about cooking inthe cooking section.

This first year is the hardest, be kind to yourself. Get enough sleep and balance your research on allergies with that which brought you pleasure before this entered your life. Don't try to do it alone. If you have a partner, let him take on some of the challenge. Share the load. In my case, I do the research and share what I have learned. I write the letters and go to all meetings with the school. He edits my letters, goes to meeting when he can and he does the grocery shopping which is huge. He can do this without a little one in tow and so he can read labels without distraction.

Each holiday, life event will bring new challenges. Accept this and see it as a challenge and not a road block. The following year you will be prepared but for now you are learning.

Remember that as it is a learning curve, those who love you but don't get it are behind in the learning curve. They don't live this 24/7 and so they are not as up to date as you are. Watch them as they may make mistakes, teach them and learn to recognize those who try from those who will never get it.

I know you feel guilt, but that is misplaced and over time you will realize this. There is nothing that you intentionally did to cause you child to have food allergies. Would you feel this guilty if he had to wear glasses? The scientific community is still learning so much about allergies. It does not appear to be simply one thing that causes this condition but many factors. If they can't pin it down, how were you suposed to?

Try to focus on what he can have as well as all of the other things he is able to do. Look at his immediate issues and make that the focus of your reading on the websites. If he is just starting school for example, you don't need to read about going off to University or dating. Don't borrow trouble.

At 9 your daughter is old enough to understand some basic principals of cross contamination. If you feel comfortable having his allergens in the house (some do/some don't) you could maybe send her a special treat in her lunch box. Maybe you fell comfortable enough to let her eat at a friends house once in a while.

You will find the right balance for your family...it just takes time.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb