You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:50 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Wheat Allergy
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:48 pm 

Well, my hubby has been going through allergy testing (skin and blood) in the last little while and has tested positive for a wheat allergy. I can handle his other allergies just fine, but this one is totally new to me. How do I cook for him? What do I cook for him? What do I avoid? I know wheat has other names... what are they? How do I know what to avoid? I'm so frustrated and lost when it comes to this allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:07 pm 
Site Admin

No doubt about it, wheat allergy is a big adjustment.

The better news is that because there are many celiac disease suffererers, who also must avoid wheat/gluten, much is written about diet for those avoiding this protein.

For starters, let me recommend reading the columns that celiac expert and dietitian Shelley Case has written for AL. See this one and the other links: http://www.allergicliving.com/columns.asp?copy_id=194

I'd highly recommend Shelley's book: Gluten-Free Diet; very comprehensive on what's ok to eat and what isn't.

Also, the Canadian Celiac Assn has some good resources: www.celiac.ca

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:26 pm 

Be sure to identify if it is a wheat allergy or a gluten thing. I am guessing it is a wheat allergy, since the allergist found it, and that makes life a little easier. There are some things that are not ok if you are avoiding gluten, but you can do if you are avoiding wheat. Either way, it is a big adjustment. Wheat shows up in a lot of places that you didn't think about before, so take your time shopping while you explore new products. Good Luck!

Daughter #1 eczema, asthma, and allergic to eggs, dairy, beef, nuts, soy, wheat, dogs, cats, and grass
Husband intolerant to dairy, allergic to grass and dust
Daughter #2 "outgrew" allergy to dairy and egg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:13 pm 

My problem seems to be finding a wheat-free bread recipe that doesn't have potato or egg in it. Can anyone help me?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:04 am 

Food Allergy Survivors Together has a recipe for "miracle white bread" that is free of wheat, potato, egg, and dairy! Check out their website for the recipe, I have not tried it yet, but I think it sounds promising.

Daughter #1 eczema, asthma, and allergic to eggs, dairy, beef, nuts, soy, wheat, dogs, cats, and grass

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:18 pm 

allergymama3 wrote:
Food Allergy Survivors Together has a recipe for "miracle white bread" that is free of wheat, potato, egg, and dairy! Check out their website for the recipe, I have not tried it yet, but I think it sounds promising.

:D Yay! Thanks! I had forgotten to mention that it needed to be dairy free too. :D That recipe takes care of that. I just need to head out to buy supplies now. :D Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:30 pm 

:D I'm so happy it will work for you! Let us know how it turns out, because I keep meaning to try it....for now we just don't have bread.