You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:24 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: school trips
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:35 pm 

How are people handling school trips? Our son is in JK and has his first trip this week. I've asked to attend and in future would like to have someone from our family attend. Our son is allergic to eggs, peanuts and sesame seeds and he has asthma. How do others handle school trips? Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:22 pm 
Site Admin

In the past, my husband was able to volunteer for all of her school trips.
The school was happy to have us there.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:51 pm 

I've been able to attend all school trips as a parent volunteer. If you're unable to attend or have a family member attend, I'd offer the suggestion that you specify that your son be in his teacher's group (and not another parent volunteer group).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:06 pm 

My sons' school has a policy that parents of anaphylactic kids are automatically allowed to attend the trip. In the past my husband or I have been able to attend trips. My son has a trip in Nov. and neither my husband nor I can attend but my girlfriend is attending and I specified that my son be put into her group. Otherwise I would ask him to be put in the teacher's group.

boys' mom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:34 pm 

I go on all the school trips as well. I want to be there, and the school has requested that I attend all trips, so we're lucky that they see the need for this. I have offered to pay for my attendance if need be, but, so far, this has not yet been necessary. I think they appreciate a heartfelt thank you, as well as the offer to pay for the school trip (some of the trips are fairly pricey!) My son is now in grade 1 at the same school, and I am the only parent that will be attending all the school trips. All other parents will only attend one field trip per year. My son has other health issues on top of his food allergies, so honestly, they want me to be there for a number of health reasons. Many of the parents know of our son's health issues, so I don't think they would be upset if they learned I am able to go on all the field trips while they can only go on one.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject: school trips
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:41 am 

Thanks everyone. I went on the trip yesterday and I was glad to be there. I brought along an extra epipen and our son's asthma meds just in case. Luckily I didn't need it but with such a large class etc I felt that he was safer and my nerves were at ease:)
I spoke with the teacher and we agreed that someone from our family will attend trips.
Thanks again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:16 am 
Site Admin

Glad it went well. Another thing to be sure to bring is a charged cell phone.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb