You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:04 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:10 am 

My son at 13 was recently diagnosed with a severe soy allergy. Skin and blood tested neg. but after in office challenge had an anaphalatic reaction. He has always had a severe nut allergy and that has been easy enough to avoid but soy Im finding hard. Hot dogs have always made him sick so no surprise but I m looking for info on burgers and other fast foods. Info is not available at restaurnts. Would there be a web site to cover this....a book? Soy allergy is all new to be but Im finding as I get rid of soy from his diet , hes become a much healthier kid. Of course burgers and tacos arent the healthiest but it would be nice to know if there were any places out there that he could eat at for the occasional treat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:22 am 
Site Admin

I would suggest that you look online at the major franchises. They should post allergy information. You might also look at BBQ chicken franchises. Although, I'm not sure what is in their sauces.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:36 am 

I was hoping to "one stop shop" but you are right I may have to just go thru indivivual restaurants. Thanks for your reply. Elaine B

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:37 pm 
Site Admin

I have adult-onset soy allergy - anaphylactic now to the stuff.
I feel for your son and you. Took me a while to adjust to this one since soy is everywhere.

For fast food, I can eat Swiss Chalet chicken without the sauce (though check Swiss Chalet's site, I may have had to stop that due to shellfish in the sauce rather than soy. Can't recall).

Everyone thinks the issue with soy is soya sauce. But that's just the obvious. The problem is that it's used widely as a preservative. Watch out for it in mayo (second big ingred. after eggs) and packaged breads. I find bakery breads usually don't have soy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:26 pm 
Site Admin

You might do well with Greek restaurants you know, souvlaki and a rice side dish. Hmmm, time for lunch!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:58 pm 

At "real" fast food restaurants, the staff is really under educated about allergy info and cross contamination. I have heard several fast food workers say that avoiding cross contamination is almost impossible in fast food. I recommend going 1/2 step up to low end sit down restaurants that were made to be fast, but don't have a drive through. Their staff may not be better educated, but seem more willing to check on things. We have had good luck with checking online first, then going to try them out.

Daughter #1 eczema, asthma, and allergic to eggs, dairy, beef, nuts, soy, wheat, dogs, cats, and grass
Husband intolerant to dairy, allergic to grass and dust
Daughter #2 "outgrew" allergy to dairy and egg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:02 am 

Thanks guys. I was thinking that burgers would have soy since most hotdogs do. So far Mcdonald burgers dont. Most sauces do and luckily my kid is not a sauce kid so we'll just avoid all of them. Altho I ve read most people dont react to soy lechin my son does. Also we discovered some sprouts in chinese food are soy sprouts. We are still in the learning process with this soy allergy. Swiss chalet has been a fave of ours so we are glad this will still be ok for him.