Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:15 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: new to fish allergy
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:17 pm 

hi all,

My son is severly allergic to dairy and sesame seeds (and avoiding peanuts, never even been near one) and now today just got confirmed that he is also allergic to fish, more so to fresh fish than salt water fish (not sure which types of fish are which) but he said to keep away from all fish (including shellfish even though not tested for that but he's too allergenic and young to be given it).

Anyways, so I started reading through this section, very interesting so far, lots to learn. But I thought I'd make a post and see if anyone had any tips for a newbie to fish allergy.

Thanks so much! :)

Jodi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:54 am 

I have no idea where to begin with our son's fish allergy as well. I hardly have a handle on how to keep him safe from the multiple groups of foods he's allergic to let alone fish.

One question I have is - if our son is in an environment where fish has been or is being cooked could that cause a reaction?

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:12 pm 
Site Admin

I have shellfish allergy. FYI, when the child with fish allergy gets older, do test for shellfish. Surprising to many, only a small proportion react to both. You're usually ok with one or the other.

The issue is usually avoiding cross-contamination. But in some seafood markets, this is possible. (I'm fortunate to have a careful fish market, so I can buy fish that hasn't touched shellfish.)

You can have inhaled reactions to cooking fish, because the proteins get into the air during cooking. I had one such reaction. But to qualify, I was standing right at a stove at a party, next to the hostess when she opened a large Tupperware container and threw a whole bunch of shrimp (my major sf allergen) into a big stewpot. So that was akin to a shellfish "facial".

You'll want to ask for your allergist's advice regarding your child's level of allergy but, in most cases I've heard of, you need a fair bit of the allergen in the air for it to cause a reaction. Again, ask your doctor, as the advice would depend on the test results and a history of previous reactions.

FYI, I did write an article all about seafood allergies - from cross-reactions, prevalence to expert advice on dealing with it. It's in AL's Winter 2008 issue if you still have it. (Or if you want to get it, it's still available for online puchase.) I mean that to be helpful, hope it doesn't sound like I'm peddling back issues. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:12 am 

Thanks, I'll look your article up. Much appreciated.
I have left the allergists office kicking myself after both our recent visits. It isn't until we are on our way home that dozens or important questions pop into my mind. With our son's allergies increasing within such a short time period I was too overwhelmed at his last test to even think straight. They are testing him again in 3 months, I will remember to write down anything I have questions about for that appointment.
To be safe we won't cook any fish in our home until we see the allergist again. The smell lingers for so long that I'm afraid if it does bother him it would take a few hours for the aroma to disappear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:54 am 

My son is also allergic to fish (all kinds) and I've found anything with Omega 3's or 6's a red flag to look further. Alot of them are from a fish source. Danino yogurt for kids, there is some orange juice, even eggs.
My son does react from the smell, we've had to leave restaurants from the smell.

me: shrimp, mangos, environmental

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:08 am 

I used to think 'great, omega enriched',now I see omega on products all I feel is irritation. I too have found yogurt, orange juice, margarine................all with fish listed.
Eggs! How do they get it into the eggs, what do they feed the chickens to manage to have fish listed. The more I know the more I am almost thankful we are not eating so many different foods now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:19 pm 

Yes, beware of unexpected fish! I was surprised to find 'anchovies' listed as an ingredient in worcestershire sauce.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:21 pm 

BC2007 - I had a friend who had true anaphylaxis from boiling shrimp...just so you know! I don't know how close she got to the pot, but she ended up in the hospital.

Daughter, 3 - peanut, tree nuts, crustacean, dust mites, cottonseed oil, sunflower oil, mangoes, mustard, and very mild outdoor allergies, eczema, asthma

Son, 2 - asthma, mild eczema, peanut, mild soy, mild egg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:19 pm 

Pringles Styx list sardines and egg in them ...why.. I can't figure but eww, fish in chips instead of fish and chips!

Now that I'm an ingredient reader this just looks too disgusting to even be a 'treat'

Pringles Styx

INGREDIENTS: WHEAT FLOUR, PALM OIL, MARGARINE (PALM OIL, SOYBEAN OIL, CANOLA OIL, CORN OIL, GLYCERYL MONOSTEARATE, CAROTENE, NATURAL FLAVORS, MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES) AND SUGAR. CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: DRIED POTATOES, YEAST, CONCENTRATED CHICKEN STOCK (CHICKEN, SOY SAUCE POWDER, LACTIC ACID, NATURAL FLAVOR, CARAMEL COLOR, SARDINE, MONOSODIUM GLUTAMATE, DISODIUM INOSINATE, DISODIUM GUANYLATE), SALT, ISOMERIC SUGAR, RICE, MALTED BARLEY (GLUTEN), BUTTER, LACTOSE, PEPPER, GARLIC, CELERY, WHEAT GLUTEN, MILK FAT RESOLVENT, EGG AND NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS.
CONTAINS WHEAT, MILK, SARDINE, SOYBEAN AND EGG INGREDIENTS.