You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:56 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:56 pm 

How about Rockets?

Quote:

Rockets are manufactured in Canada (not imported from the States) and they are free of: peanuts, tree nuts, dairy, egg, fish, shellfish, soy, and do not contain gluten (from wheat, barley, oats, rye).

There was a discussion on them in this thread : http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... php?t=1546

Enjoy! :p

DS Francois - 1 - No allergies so far...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:55 pm 

cool, thanks!!! :P Rockets are my favorite candy even... but I just moved so I didn't have any on hand to check the ingridents.

If you have any "commercial" candy ideas, let me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:33 am 
Site Admin

Be careful of the 3lb bag of rockets candy (combination of 6 candies). A member of our local support group reported to us that while the rockets and 2 other candies were made in their US plant, 3 others were made in China and the representative on the phone expressed her concern regarding safety measures and likleyhood of adequate label warnings on those items given all of the problems China has recently had.
The package indicates "imported exclusively within Canada".

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:28 pm 

Thanks Susan! I'll tell my cousin.

(I checked... turns out I don't like the 3 kinds made in China... I "recycle" those in my Halloween candies I give away :lol: So as far as my allergies go I'm safe with my favorite candy :P )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:10 am 
Site Admin

Nestle, which as most know makes some peanut-free candy, offered up this peanut-free gingerbread haunted house recipe in a media release. Just in time for Fright Night :twisted:

Peanut-Free Haunted Gingerbread House

375 ml (1 1/2 cups) shortening
375 ml (1 1/2 cups) sugar
3 eggs
375 ml (1 1/2 cups) fancy molasses
50 ml ( 1/4 cup) golden syrup
2 l (8 cups) all-purpose flour
22 ml (1 1/2 tbsp) ground ginger
10 ml (2 tsp) each pumpkin pie spice and cinnamon
7 ml (1 1/2 tsp) baking soda and salt
1 box (1.3 kg) 100 Peanut Free Nestle Favourites snack-size chocolate bars

In a bowl, beat shortening and sugar until light. Add eggs, one at a time, with molasses and syrup. In a separate bowl, stir dry ingredients together and add in heaping spoonfuls to molasses mixture; stir until well combined. Divide dough into 4 balls. Wrap individually and refrigerate for at least 2 1/2 hours or up to 1 week.

Cut out and carefully label each pattern piece. Roll balls of chilled dough individually between wax paper to 5-mm ( 1/4-inch) thickness. Trace and cut out each pattern piece for the house; save cookie scraps to roll again as needed. Remember to cut out windows and doors before baking.

Transfer gingerbread to parchment paper-lined cookies sheets leaving at least 2.5 cm (1 inch) between shapes. Place in freezer for 25 minutes.

Bake in a 180 C (350 F) for 15 to 20 minutes or until gingerbread is firm.

Icing

3 egg whites
5 ml (1 tsp) cream of tartar
750 ml (3 cups) to 1 l (4 cups) icing sugar
Food colouring (optional)

In a bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar for 4 minutes or until stiff peaks form. Slowly add sugar, 125 ml ( 1/2 cup) at a time, beating until thick (may require less sugar). Add food colouring, if desired. Transfer icing to large self-sealing plastic bag. Close and set aside.

To Assemble

Use the haunted house photo and graphic as your assembly guide. Use a foil-covered cutting board as the base.

Snip corner from icing bag and pipe icing generously along edges of gingerbread to glue pieces together. Start with the walls, using cans or jars to support the structure as the icing hardens.

Complete structure by gluing on the roof and chimney with piped icing. Allow to harden for at least 15 minutes.

Use peanut-free chocolate bars to decorate the haunted house, gluing the chocolate in place with icing. Add other Halloweeen-themed decorations to personalize the house.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:25 pm 

bump

Post subject: Halloween
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:16 pm 

Our son just turned 4. What I did last year was filled a small bag with "safe" treats that was the same as the bag he used to trick or treat (picked up 2 bags at the dollar store). I also added a few non food fun items. At the end of the trick or treating I swapped bags and gave the "unsafe,unchecked" bag to my husband to take to the staff room at work. I found that the "Trick or Treat" book with Alexander the Elephant helped a lot too and I've been reading it again with our son as this year's Halloween approaches. He knows not to eat anything and that everything has to be checked by mom and dad when he gets home and that's when I do the bag swap. A bit sneaky? Absolutely, but it's safer.
Good Luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:16 pm 
Site Admin

Wishing all of your kids a great, fun and SAFE Hallowe'en out there.

Reminder: ask kids at your door: does anyone here have allergies? May not be the same ones you're used to dealing with.

Curious - what are your kids going as this year?

I saw a lot of Dark Knights, the perennial princesses and pirates heading to our local school. And am noticing the staying power of Spiderman. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:27 pm 

Happy Halloween everyone! I hope you all have a safe and wonderful one!

We're already through the school parties, which are probably the most stressful part (just making sure everything was safe and organized, the teachers were fantastic). Now for a little trick or treating and a visit from the Great Pumpkin...

My guys are a Dementor and an "Unknown Phantom" (creepy guy with these nifty little battery operated eyes that glow). We've graduated to the scary costumes.

Have fun and be safe guys!

Both with many environmental allergies, asthma and eczema

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:04 pm 
Site Admin

I just finished her Hannah Montana costume and am running off to get her from daycare!

Happy and safe Halloween everyone, may the Great Pumpkin visit your pumpkin patch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:16 pm 
Site Admin

I have to report 2 teenage Sarah Palins!
Spotted separately.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:30 pm 
Site Admin

My daughter an I saw many discarded candy wrappers while trick or treating and she was shocked to think that anyone would eat their loot with out having an adult check it first. (Ah, I love the under 9 years... :wink: )

Great Pumpkin was his usual generous self and I'm sure he is now feeling the effects of all the chocolate.

My daughter suspects I am the Great Pumpkin...next, she'll think I'm the Easter Bunny!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:41 pm 

My daughter is starting to figure things out too. Every year I drop off a sealed bag of safe treats to our neighbours in advance of our arrival. We only go to about 10 homes. This year I was late making my deliveries. I ran out just before supper on Halloween night. I was heading to my second "drop off" when I looked back at our home and saw my daughter watching me in the window. My husband distracted her after that but she was curious about what I was doing. I told her that I was reminding the neighbours about her allergies.

She was Tinkerbell and her brother was a race car driver. I also make up bags of safe goodies for him. If we let him bring home all of the regular loot, it would be difficult to contain messy milk chocolate fingers.

Hope everyone had a great Halloween.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:18 am 

We had a wonderful halloween, and actually alot less of the peanut/traces of candy this year.
Although ds's kindergarten class let me down. It is entirely Peanut/nut free. There are 2 kids in class with Peanut allergies. A couple of kids gave out treat bags, one of the bags ds came home with was ALL Peanut contaminated (you know the "manufactured/may contain" I was disapointed that they wouldn't check before giving them out.

Halloween was kept safe again for us I hope it was for everyone else as well :)

me: shrimp, mangos, environmental

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:03 am 
Site Admin

Bumping this for the upcoming year! :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next