You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:24 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Balsam of Peru allergy
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:08 pm 

I am a mother of a 4 year old whom since birth has suffered from eczema. Last year, she started to get rashes on her face and all over her body. It was so bad she looked like a burn victim on the face. I went to Vanderbilt hospital and the dermatologist there said it was contact dermititis. He suggested we go to a Joseph Fowler in KY for patch testing. The result a balsam of peru allergy. Which is in fragrances, and foods, and medicines. He gave me a sheet with things to stay away from. I have 3 other children and trying to figure out what my 4 yr old can eat now is wearing thin on me. Has anyone else had this and do you have a list of things you CAN eat. It would be much easier than the list of what not too.
Thanks for any and all help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:43 pm 
Site Admin

Wow, I hadn't even heard of that plant before but a quick check with a search engine showed me that this is not an uncommon allergy and that this allergen is used in quite a few products from tooth paste to medications. (Only one article I quickly scanned readily offered it was from New Zealand)

I would suggest that you be suspicious of any flavourings. Start with finding out what is safe of the products currently in your home.

I hope someone here has some experience and can offer suggestions.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:34 pm 

I have heard of this before. My son when he was younger had bad eczema and impetigo as well. I did come across this disorder online. I am a surf freak when it comes to searching for things online. Here is a site http://dermnetnz.org/dermatitis/balsam- ... lergy.html that gave me information on this. My son does not have this but it was good to know.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:53 pm 

I am an adult female who was diagnosed by Dr. Fowler in July of 2006 with BOP allergy (and gold, neomycin). I do hope your 4 yr old is doing better and you are not as frustrated with the food situation since it has been almost a year from your posting.

I am still learning and still frustrated at times. My situation has improved, but still with me.

I learned AFTER diagnosis by Dr. Fowler and trying (unsuccessfully) to find the products (several of which had not been manufactured for a few years) on the 1 page handout he provided, there is a computerized list of products geared to one's specific allergies called C.A.R.D. You have probably found it by now while researching.

I contacted Dr. Fowler's office to inquire about C.A.R.D. I was told he wants patients to read labels so he doesn't use C.A.R.D. This list has made my life much easier and much less frustrating. From my experience, not many dermatologists provide it, and it changes each year because product ingredients change. I have C.A.R.D from 2007 and 2009. Several products on 2007 list are no longer on 2009 list. I called two companies inquiring about ingredient changes. Both stated the products I named had NOT changed in ingredients so I have no idea why no longer on C.A.R.D. So it can be confusing hence frustrating!

As food is concerned, it is not easy. Eating out, I ask many questions, avoid fast food except for Subway.
Reading labels, I avoid anything with "natural or artificial flavoring". My diet has evolved to avoiding almost all processed foods. So I'm eating lots of fresh vegetable, fruits. I do use organic canned black beans, chick peas. Love Dole frozen mixed fruit from Sam's Club for smoothies and will add fresh or frozen blueberries and bananas.

I avoid anything with vinegar, lemon, limes, or oranges.

I either eliminate what I can't eat from a recipe, or at a certain point remove my portion from the product and continue preparing both portions individually. Example, vegetable soup, separate into 2 portions and add tomatoes to one part.

In the winter I make a lot of creamed broccoli soup and butternut squash. Was using organic chicken stock or broth, but didn't read the labels close enough and discovered there are spices so this winter I'm making my own stock using Ina Garten's (Barefoot Contessa) recipe.

I use a lot of sweet red, green, yellow peppers along with various veggies sauteed in olive oil for omelets scrambled eggs, stir fries with pasta. or my version of fajitas.

Using olive oil, herbs, and onions help to give flavor to foods. Parmesan cheese and other shredded cheeses, feta, goat cheese, cottage cheese, sour cream can be used for added flavor and texture. Or for example, I'll mix olive oil with cottage cheese or sour cream for a salad dressing. I do watch the amount of fat I consume.

I found I can use Aunt Jemima Original Pancake and Waffle Mix. All kids like pancakes? Maple syrup works for me and fruit.
Plain Dannon yogurt or Activia plain yogurt (hard to find in my area) can be added to fruit, or cooked brown rice mixed with a little brown sugar.

I'll make oatmeal cookies without vanilla or cinnamon, and add lots of pecans or walnuts and organic raisins from Kroger. Also, I use canola oil instead of butter or shortening. I use the Quaker oatmeal recipe, divide it by 4, using 1 egg, and a little less than 1/4 cup oil. The cookies are soft. I only make the small amount since I'm the only one eating the cookies. I've learned to be creative.

I drink a lot of filtered water and will take chilled S. Pellegrino (or another sparkling mineral water) with me at times for a special treat or when I know I can't drink what will be available. The Sprite or 7 UP on the food list just do not taste good to me now..too sweet and artificial tasting.

Hope some of this helps. The doctors are not much help. The everyday living with BOP allergy is not easy, but one can't let it overtake your life. I've found the stress and anxiety from the frustration with avoidance, and finding foods and products I can tolerate increase the symptoms of the allergy so I'm learning to accept the limitations.

I'd love to hear anything you have learned.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:30 am 

I have had this allergy for 7 years and have never found a shampoo I could love. I hated the way they made my hair feel. But about 2 years ago I was in Cpe May NJ and stumbled on a small shop in the basement of an old bank building. The ower makes his own soaps and other bath products. He uses only actual product not fragraces or essential oils and will answer any and all questions about his stuff. He has an unscented soap that is great for bathing and washing hair. It is made from Olive oil and palm oil. He also has soaps like lemon Poppy seed that smell great and are the basic soap with acutal lemon juice and poppy seeds in it. I am not trying to increase his business but the stuff smells great and doesn't contain Balsam of Peru! You can find him by searching for "A Place on Earth" on the net. The soap :goodidea :goodidea lasts too!