You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:43 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:48 am 

Hello,

I will be visiting Winnipeg later this month with my children who are allergic to nuts and egg.

I understand that the keg is quite good re allergies but I am wondering if there are any other restaurants that might accomodate us. Pizza Pizza and Swiss Chalet don't have any locations in Winnipeg (and are our go to places in Toronto).

Is there a pizza or chicken place or other to go to?

What about bakeries? Anything nut and egg free (I doubt it).

any products I should know about. We generally bring along bread when we travel...some of the dempsters works for us and sha sha but I'm not sure if they sell it in Winniipeg.

Let me know your suggestions

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:39 pm 

Here's some guidance:

Chicken
----------
KFC is YES.
Chicken Delight is NO
Chicken Chef is NO

Pizza
------
Little Ceasars is YES
Dominos is YES
Dal's (St. Vital & Transcona) is YES
Pizza Hut is NO

Other
------
Boston Pizza is YES (They have nutty things on the menu but are VERY careful if you let them know.)
Tony Roma's is YES.
Applebee's is YES (Again, nutty things on the menu, but if you walk them through it there are options.)
Montanas is YES.
The Keg is ? They used to be YES, but last time I was there without my son they had pecan crusted steak - next time we go there will be LOTS of questions before hand.
Moxie's is NO.

Bakeries
----------
KUB bread is peanut/nut free (except German Chocolate Cake Icing). They do have some egg products, but plenty without (buns, muffins, cookies, cinnamon buns, etc.)
Most McGavins products are safe (SMART Bread, etc.)
Safeway Bakery is NO.
Papa Pallones is NO. They are peanut/nut free, but NOT egg free.

Hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:56 pm 

thanks so much for all the information. You just saved me a tonne of work!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:05 pm 

Hi

I'm just making a few inquiries based on your list and noticed that KFC seems to have cross contamination issues re egg. I looked up an allergy chart that is online dated in 2007. do you have different information?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:40 am 

HI There - The list I shared was based on my inquiries over the years and my son's experiences. I guess this is the danger in sharing lists and I should have been more specific on what make it a "yes or "no" for us. Of course you still need to do your own research (and I'm glad to see that you are) - at least with my "NOs" you know where not to bother.

The KFC Chart is new to me - you're right - looks like this is now a potential issue. I knew he couldn't have the popcorn chicken or strips or cole slaw, etc. but the regular chicken and fries were was fine . . .Ugh!

I think almost without exception, every restaurant on my list will have potential cross-contamination issues . . .especially with egg. My son has eaten at all of the "YES' places, lots of times (we eat out a lot) and has never had any reaction of any kind. It doesn't mean he can eat everything, but can eat something at each and that risks or potential levels of cross contam are acceptable to us (comfort zone - much as I don't like that expression).

As with all info on any forum - use it as a starting point - not as the final say.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:12 pm 
Site Admin

Honestly, if you can get a hotel with a kitchenette that is your best bet. Sure, you'll spend some time cooking but you'd have to wait in a busy restaurant for your food to be cooked anyway.

I have found that the piece of mind and the cost savings is worth it for me. Eating out is nice once in a while but every meal with hungry, bored and tired children? Not my idea of fun.

Bring some mixes (biscuits/cupcakes), roast 2 chickens (one for a meal and one for sandwiches) or a ham/beef. I always travel with a can opener, a cutting board and a medium sized all purpose knife in a sheath (check in baggage). If you can't get a kitchenette ask for an extra bar fridge and a microwave. You'd be surprised how accomodating places will be especially if you tell them that you plan to share your marvelous experience with us. (How many members do we have now Gwen?)

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb