You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:04 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:15 am 

I am 21 years old and out of no where I became allergic to milk. I became lactose intolerant a few months ago and last Friday began my reaction to milk. I have a 13 month old son who was born allergic to milk. The older he gets the more his seems to calm down, he can have small amounts of milk without a problem. So food has been easy for him but for me it seems to be a challenge. I'm a huge fan of frozen ready stuff like Bertolli because it's easy and I need easy with him. I always just fix him something seperate, but now I'm learning that milk is everything I have in my house. I have learned that even just a tablespoon of milk causes huge problems with me (hives all over including in my mouth, major swelling etc), so would my safest way of eating to be make everything myself? I'm going food shopping tomorrow to look for milk free things that I can eat. Are there any good milk free cookbooks that y'all would recommend maybe?
I dont know why but I just feel very confused by all of this. I guess because I'm such a huge lover of cheese! hehe :)
Thank you in advance for any advice y'all have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:07 am 

There is life after Milk allergy! I promise. Here some hint I have learned from my Daughter who is vegan by anaphylaxiis.

here is a very helpful cookbook
http://www.keepersofthefaith.com/Catalo ... SM4239.jpg

First get your self some vegan cookbooks you can always add to them the things you can have meat and what not.

Vegan with a Vengance is a great one.

When you do cook make a large batch and freeze a few meals. I do this for my self since I have so many allergies if I am ever hospitalized My hubby can bring me frozen dinners from our freezer.

Yes, it is safer much safer for you cook your own meals.

Allergic to tons and tons of food as well as perfumes, scented air sprays and cleaners. Hubby to Fish, ds #2 Shellfish, youngest to Eggplant, potato, Caesin, Raw Tomato & spinach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:21 pm 

It does get easier, believe me. From your reactions, it sounds as though you should be avoiding all traces of milk. When my son was diagnosed with his allergies I felt so overwhelmed. For his safety, and our comfort level, we now have a milk, egg, nut free home. Grocery shopping takes about twice as long as it used to, but we tend to stick with the same foods when we find a safe brand (check the label everytime though). I also make most meals from scratch and find we are all much healthier even with our limited diets. I don't have any suggestions for cookbooks because all mine are dairy, egg, nut free recipies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:59 pm 
Site Admin

Honestly, if you have a computer, just use a search engine and type in the recipe you're looking for. I have several allergy friendly cook books but the only one that I use over and over is the Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network's cook book. Other than that I just google recipes.

Wacky cake is a great chocolate cake that uses no eggs or milk. Also, you can google war time recipes when eggs and milk were rationed. Another idea is to search vegan recipes as they don't use eggs or milk either.

Find yourself a safe mayonaise (I love Veganaise) and cheese product (I love Earth Islands) believe it or not I have made a killer lasagna with no eggs or cheese in it and no one can tell!

Look under our recipes section for great recipes as well.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:09 pm 

Vegweb has some great recipes too.

Allergic to tons and tons of food as well as perfumes, scented air sprays and cleaners. Hubby to Fish, ds #2 Shellfish, youngest to Eggplant, potato, Caesin, Raw Tomato & spinach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:32 pm 

Rather than cook separately for everyone, all of our meals are safe for the whole family. That makes sure there are no accidental ingestion issues or cross contamination. I tried several vegan cookbooks, but found that most recipes it them did not appeal to the whole family, especially my husband who is a very "traditional" southern type eater. I just google the recipe I am looking for, it is amazing how specific you can be and still get results. Type "allergy free" or "dairy free" whatever recipe into your engine, and it really will get results! If you are only avoiding milk, it takes awhile to adjust to but it gets easier! Pretty soon it won't seem like a big deal. Try starting out with a chocolate flavored milk alternative for drinking, as chocolate tends to make everything taste yummy! We really prefer Silk soymilk over the others. After you get used to the chocolate, you can adjust to the plain and the unsweetened if you want. Tip: if you are going to cook with rice or soy milk, make sure to buy the plain UNSWEETENED, or every recipe you try will taste funny. (Except dessert type things. Then the extra sugar isn't noticeable.)

Daughter #1 eczema, asthma, and allergic to eggs, dairy, beef, nuts, soy, wheat, dogs, cats, and grass
Husband intolerant to dairy, allergic to grass and dust
Daughter #2 "outgrew" allergy to dairy and egg