Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:15 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: deleted post
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:28 pm 

deleted

Last edited by NevaehsMom on Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:21 pm 

Hi NevaehsMom,

My son has a milk and egg allergy as well, interstingly he was also on good start formula. Anyway, he is now 5 and is doing great. We buy the "Dempsters Soft Slice - Regular or Thick Slice Toast" there are no eggs or milk in this bread and I usually find it at Dominion or Walmart.

You can bake without eggs by using the following substitute:

1 EGG = 1 1/2 tbs. water + 1 1/2 tbs. oil + 1 tsp. baking powder (mix together)

A good cookbook will help as well. I have "The Egg, Dairy, and Nut Free Cookbook" by Donna Beckwith - it has some great recipes.

Check out the forum for some other amazing recipes and ideas. Why do you thind your daughter is allergic to eggs? Did she react to something?

boys' mom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:03 pm 
Site Admin

Most Dr's are reluctant to test if the food hasn't been eaten before. The idea is that you ingest the food and the body develops the IgE antibodies to the allergen. It is the next time that you ingest the allergen that you will have a reaction so if you haven't eaten the food there is not much chance of getting a reaction from a skin prick. Dr's are also reluctant to restrict the diet any more than is necessaru in order to maintain optimum nutrition.

You could offer some egg. Test by first putting some of the item on the forearm, then if this is tolerated putting some on the cheek, then the lip and finally tasting it in small amounts. Do not introduce anything else for about a week and introduce the egg a few times in that period. Try to time the eating of the egg when you are fully rested and have several hours of free time (not easy when you are a parent!) This would not be used as a challenge but when trying new foods.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:21 am 

In addition to making sure mommy is well rested, make sure dd doesn't have to take a nap soon. I never give my dd anything new- medicines included- within two hours of bedtime. I don't want to miss signs of a reaction because she is sleeping.

As for the egg allergy, many doctors recommend that all egg be fully cooked, and that you serve the yolk only at first, as the white is more allergenic. I'm not sure how accurate that is. If you want to check allergy potential by applying a food topically, make sure to test on the inside of the wrist or elbow, as that is fairly sensitive skin.

Good luck, I hope the eggs are tolerated!

Daughter #1 eczema, asthma, and allergic to eggs, dairy, beef, nuts, soy, wheat, dogs, cats, and grass
Husband intolerant to dairy, allergic to grass and dust
Daughter #2 "outgrew" allergy to dairy and egg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:53 pm 

DS tested positive to dairy allergy at 5 months old but tested negative to all other foods (including egg and nuts). I was told I could introduce egg cautiously at one year. When he was about 14 months old I decided it was time to intoduce it, but since he reacts to skin contact to milk, I decided to try the same for egg first. I dabbed a drop of egg yolk on his cheek and he got a hive within seconds. Allergist said to assume allergy, which was confirmed at his next appointment along with peanuts and tree nuts. Not a good visit for us.

For bread we use Dempsters enriched white or usually I just make my own. I use a breadmaker to make the dough, then cook it in the oven. I use Celimix or Pane Riso egg replacers for baking and it works fine in most recipies, including bread, pancakes, cakes, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:13 pm 

My son was diagnosed with milk and egg allergies at 13 months (he's just over 3 years now) and he too had Good Start formula with no problem - he did have problems when I tried the follow-up formula once though.

DS's allergist has told me to go ahead and try peanuts, we've been avoiding as a precaution, and I have the same worries as you do about introducing egg. DS will be undergoing food challenges for milk and egg later in the spring and I have decided to wait to try peanuts until after we've been through that.

In addition to the home-made egg replacers, you can purchase Kingsmills Egg Replacer. It's easy to use and one box lasts a long time.

DS#3 - eggs, cats, dust, eczema, avoiding nuts as a precaution
DS#2 - seasonal allergies
DS#1 - no allergies
Me & DH - seasonal allergies