You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:56 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:48 pm 

Just wondering if anyone has travelled to Cozumel (or anywhere in Mexico) and can make any suggestions or tell me your experience!

:?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:34 pm 

I went to Cancun when I was 3 and I have severe peanut/nut allergies and my brother has severe egg allergy. Considering it was over 17 years ago, when allergies were not as widely recognized as they are now, that should bring you some comfort. But, we rented a little house and had a chef who cooked our meals for us and only us. I guess it depends where you're staying, if you speak Spanish ( we speak Italian which is helpful) and if you are willing to stay at a place where you can cook your own meals as a backup plan. Also, one thing I have learned is that no matter how hard you plan ALWAYS bring a bunch of snacks and non-perishables with you just in case. I would not trust pre-packaged foods in all countries and I am not familiar with the labelling requirements in Mexico. In my case, our meals were all made from scratch so it was ok.
Hope this helps....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:28 pm 
Site Admin

ALG,

Welcome to the forum. I highly recommend not taking an all-inclusive - risking cross-contamination at those buffet tables. I'd find a place with a kitchenette and do most of my own cooking.

Scott McKenzie is Allergic Living's travel columnist. He's done some wonderful, helpful articles - a series, in fact, under the title "Have Kitchen, Will Travel".

See the main one here:
http://www.allergicliving.com/features.asp?copy_id=142

Other travel articles in the Archive (look for the archive tab in the red tab bar on the homepage.

Best with it. Gwen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:10 pm 

I agree with Gwen, don't go for all-inclusive if you have a choice, go for a place with a full kitchen. If you can't get a full kitchen, then get a kitchenette or ask for a fridge, kettle, toaster, microwave, etc or whatever the hotel will give you.

Get some allergy translation cards if you are not completely fluent in spanish that clearly itemize your allergies and the fact that they are life threatening. here is a canadian site that does translation cards:

http://www.allergytranslation.com/Home/home.php

If you have to eat out go for a smal place where you can speak directly to the person preparing the food and ensure you have someone with you fluent in spanish.

Good luck,

Scott