You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:07 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: What's your job, anyway?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:56 am 

Hi there! I figured if we were going to be talking about work in the abstract, we may as well get a bit more specific!

My job is owning/operating Lefty Lucy Communications. We're a communications company (duh) that works only with activists, artists, and indie-business. In addition to Allergic LIving (clearly) our clients include Jeremy Hinzman, the Council of Canadians, the Pro-Choice Action Network, and BattleAxe Folk.

I get to work from home, which is great, mostly. It does mean spending a LOT of time in my own head, which is weird. And I get to do work I believe in, which is great, too. Working freelance is always stressful, because of lack of steady money. But I can't imagine doing anything else!

What about you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:33 pm 

I'm not able to work due to fibro, CFIDS, and MCS. I do, however, have a degree in Russian/Area Studies (international relations) and I garden, read, and hang out with friends. This summer, I plan on constructing some copper arbors/trellises and I want to take up woodworking, as well. I'll just go slowly and take my own sweet time. Since I'm free when I'm awake, I can often spend days with friends who have young kids--distraction, adult conversation, and adventures for all!

ygg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:08 pm 

I work as a translator. After a bachelor and a master in History (which lead me nowhere) and working 1 and a half in Ottawa for the governement, I came back to Montreal where I got my bachelor degree in translation, with a co-op program, meaning internships (4). Finally, I have a stable job I hope to keep for a while.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:25 pm 

I've been a stay-at-home mom for nearly 20 years. When the first two were old enough for me to feel comfortable returning to work my husband talked me in to having a third. Actually, he said he would like to have a baby and I told him to go ahead. Being the first man to have a baby, I figured we'd get lots of free gifts and stuff. :lol: When he finally explained that he meant for me to have that baby - well, it took him two years to talk me in to it. Then, a trip to my gp, a few phone calls to MotherRisk at Sick Kids Hospital - and we decided we'd have number three.

Now, he's seven years old and I'd like to work part-time while he's at school. All my training is completely outdated, so basically, it would be a minimum wage job. So far, no luck finding one. I do a bit of computer work at home for a few people - but I'd really like to be doing more (or, at least being paid for more. ;) )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:19 pm 

deleted

Last edited by Helen on Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:48 pm 

I'm an RN, I have eased away from work, not necessarily because I wanted to... I only work nights so I don't have to leave my kids with anyone but my husband.
Unfortunately, he's away alot so work for me has been few and far between.

Spring

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 1:52 pm 
Site Admin

I work for a community heath care agency. I send staff (personal support workers or nurses) out in the community to assist people in staying at home safely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 2:23 pm 

I work full time as a Crisis Intervention Worker for kids...well till June 20th when my contract is up. I am not sure I will be continuing in this field?? The money stinks and the jobs are mostly in support (did that for 4 years) and that is not full time.
When out in the community I suffer from scent intolerance and some pollen allergies. But in the office it is worse since others will wear their perfume and colon no matter how you beg them not to.
So perhaps my next profession will be something that I can do alone in my own space...not likely :? so I will continue to suffer no matter what I do...
Keep your fingers crossed for me.
Sue

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:47 pm 

I'm a translator and my translation business is based in Canada and in the UK (I basically live in 2 countries and go back and forth a lot). I am fluent in 5 languages and translate from French, Spanish, Italian and Portuguese into English. I also provide proofreading services in English.

Past jobs include positions at a foreign government office and at various non-profit organisations (children's rights, education, cultural exchanges).

I also have a side job of sorts... more as a hobby really. I am a "classic rock" writer and have had my interviews with musicians published. I've had the honour of meeting a few legends in the rock world, including Jimmy Page. :D

Last edited by Storm on Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:34 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:02 am 

I worked as a teacher and I also have a translation certificate. I have been a stay at home Mom for the last 5 years but I have continued tutoring high school math (except for when my second was a newborn) Tutoring is a great stay at home job. Not many tutors can do pre-calculus math and I also get a lot of French immersion students who need to be tutored in French.
Linguist

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:04 am 

We've got a few translators! How interesting! I worked as an American Sign Language interpreter for years.

We're all word nerds!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:28 pm 

Audra wrote:
We're all word nerds!

Well, I can't translate - but I love word puzzles. Does that count? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:24 pm 

I say YES!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:54 pm 

My formal education is as a computer programmer and a system analyst. 7 Languages.Currently work as business consultant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:47 pm 

My education was in early childhood education. I ran a dayhome for one year before co-owning / operating a business with my husband. We no longer own the business. He works directly for the company which over saw it now. I stay home with our kids.

I always wanted to be a preschool teacher. Thats what the education was for, however our co-business took priority. When I do decide to work ( no time soon ), I would like to work with young kids, either in child care or preschool. I've given some thought to daycare or preschool primarily for allergic kids.