You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:42 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:10 pm 

Our doctor held off on our son's MMR immunization until hearing from our pediatric allergist.
The allergist gave the OK for our Dr. give the shot today as long as we stayed in the office for a 1/2 hour afterwards. It only took about 30 seconds after the nurse gave the needle for a reaction to start. Even after an injection each of epinephrine and benedryl the reaction lingered. Our doctor had us stay for another hour to ensure our son wouldn't need another does of epinephrine. We now must give benedryl every 6 hours for 5 days to ensure any egg protein in his system is gone.
I am SO STRESSED!! The chance is so slim of a reaction to the MMR vaccine, it seems our poor little guy is the exception to every rule.

The good news is that I made eggless cheesecake this weekend and it worked beautifully. I think I'm going to go and find a fork and dig in :D to help relieve some of the stress from this morning.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:12 pm 

That's too bad! Your poor little guy and you for going through it. That's a lot of Benadryl - every 6 hours for 5 days. When my daughter had her major reaction we only had to give Benadryl for about 24 hours. I think it was mainly for her swelling. Your little one will be quite drowsy. Do you think you should check with your allergist about the Benadryl?
Take care. Enjoy the cheesecake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:13 pm 

Hi!

Sorry to hear about your little one's reaction. Hang in there. Hope he's feeling better and hope you enjoyed the cheesecake!

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:35 pm 

you got me thinking...I'll call the dr's office and ask for a clarification on the benedryl.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:00 am 

The little guy was fine last night, I don't see any need to give him any more benedryl, of course I'll keep an eye on him for the next day but aside from the dark circles under his eyes he's happy as can be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:05 am 

Glad to hear that he is okay. Take care of yourself too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:09 pm 

BC2007

My son also reacted to the first MMR shot - actually that is how we figured out he had an egg allergy. Anyway my allergist suggested we check to see if he still has the antibodies present (through a blood test). We did, he does, and the doctor says he doesn't need to take the next dose (given between 4 to 6 years old) since the antibodies are still present.

Just thought I'd share. I'm glad your little guy is alright.

boys' mom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:37 am 
Site Admin

Wow, how scary! I'm glad to hear that he's doing better. At this age, I am certain it is harder on the parents than on the child.

Quote:
Even after an injection each of epinephrine and benedryl the reaction lingered. Our doctor had us stay for another hour to ensure our son wouldn't need another does of epinephrine. We now must give benedryl every 6 hours for 5 days to ensure any egg protein in his system is gone.

I don't understand why the Dr gave a shot of epinephrine and then told you to wait around for an hour and then to go home ans give Benedryl. Our allergist has told us that if we have the need to use epinephrine (the Epi-Pen) we are to head to the hospital and stay 8 1/2 hours, period. I have also been told that Benedryl can mask some of the symptoms of a reaction.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:21 am 

I wondered the same thing, I asked several times to make sure I was clear that I was to go home, I was informed that unless symptoms came back there was no need to go to the hospital. Our allergist had also told us any use of epinephrine meant going to the ER. Monday at our Dr.'s office our son's breathing was checked several times then I was given the Ok to take him home. I must admit that I sat in his room watching him as he napped that afternoon for fear that he'd react in his sleep.

Now that everything is calm I'm going to have to seriously discuss this with our Dr. and our allergist.