You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:56 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:01 pm 

When I think Hawaii.. I think macadamia nuts.
Just wondering if anyone's had any experience with traveling to Hawaii. My 8 year old son has a severe (anaphylactic) reaction to all nuts/tree nuts.. My parents (who are traveling with him, not I) will most likely stay at a place with a kitchenette, but I'm sure temptations and convenience will be present, and I can only inform and constantly educate :) just need some peace of mind :? Thanks!!

Julie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:08 pm 

I've been before and had no problems. Kitchenette is obviously the best option but if not, restaurants are always better than buffets because of the obvious cross contamination risk. The good thing is, the people are SO nice and will do anything to accomodate you and there is no language barrier either. I would research the hotel a bit and maybe call to let them know when you're son will be staying there...always makes their job easier to have a heads up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:54 am 
Site Admin

If you can't get a kitchenette, ask about a microwave and a bar fridge. I find that hotels really want you to have an enjoyable experience and will try to accomodate you if possible.

It doesn't hurt to ask. :)

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:05 pm 

I would go for a full kitchen, not just a kitchenette since Hawaii has so many condos. Food labelling is not an issue since its the USA and I would minimize the amount of eating out or not eat out at all. If you do eat out opt for a small place where you can speak directly to the person preparing the food and not rely on a waiter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:10 pm 

Hi JulieF
I have been to Hawaii many times (will be there for xmas). We always have a kitchen and do eat out at times. We pick restaurants that are not fancy as I find those ones want to do fancy type of dishes (not usually a good thing for allergic me). We have walked out of a restaurant or two before. If you go out to eat ask to look at the menu before sitting down that should let you know if you should go in. I do not find macadamia nuts a huge problem I seem to encounter more coconut. They like to add it to drinks...
Don't forget to double check the ingredients even if you are at regular places from home as I have found they don't make everything the same, they can also have local extras on the menu.
That said I feel very comfortable being there as there is no language issue and food that I go buy I feel I can read the label and know what I am getting. I am sure your son will have a great time and will be wondering when he can return again. :D