Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:53 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:04 pm 

hello again! I'm back for an update

I have been writing a food diary and I cant believe the pattern I am seeing... everytime I eat potatoes I've had facial tingling, and a few times some hives (yesterday my ears broke out in bright red hives, VERY weird) among other symptoms. I've been thinking about it when eating potatoes and it happens every time. I really did not think this allergy existed!

I think I am allergic to coconut too because since eliminating it my constant sore throat has disappeared and also a few of my rashes. I'm gonna try it tomorrow though just to be sure - and then go back to my doctor for a RAST if I do indeed react, but I am pretty sure I will.

but the potato thing is very shocking to me. can anyone else thats dealt with this allergy shed some light on the issue?

Ok - no more allergies now! please!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:03 pm 

I hate to have to tell you this but many potatoes are gassed with corn derived ethylene gas to prevent them from sprouting. I do really well with potatoes out of my garden or ones that look like "new crop" out of the grocery store bins. Look for ones that have lighter coloured, thinner skins.

This baffled me for many years because I had no trouble with my garden potatoes yet I would have major (skin) reactions to some potatoes from the store.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:14 pm 

Here is a site that explains the use of ethylene gas on potatoes:

http://ec.europa.eu/food/fs/ifsi/euposi ... pt4_en.pdf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:57 pm 

wow! I had no idea. It seems to happen with organic potatoes too though and it would seem this wouldn't be allowed in organic farming..? hm!

thanks for the heads up, you've been of great help. today has not been a good day reaction wise....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:27 pm 

The title of the site I posted indicates that it IS for use on Organic Potatoes.

Do you have a farmer's market where you live? Many corn allergics stock up on potatoes in the fall before the gassing process begins. This is...of course...if you have somewhere cool to keep them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:18 pm 

P.S. As for the coconut...have you tried getting out the hammer and chisel and opening a fresh coconut? This is the only way I can eat coconut...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:26 pm 

oh I'm so sorry I missed the title argh! I was in the middle of a reaction actually when coming to the board so I wasn't very attentive! silly me, excuse me..

Well that pretty much explains it. Why is corn everywhere! it also explain why i haven't reacted to potato starch as badly in my pancakes but every time I eat potatoes its bad. Today I tried them without the peel and i didn't react as badly though, but still a little bit.

As for coconut I tried it today, and I've had coconut flour made into a pooridge, which is shredded coconut that is de-fatted into a flour. So its just coconut, so I'd be surprised if this has corn! Earlier today I broke out in hives about 1,5 hour after eating it, but luckily they dissapeared quickly. it says "100% coconut flour" right on the package.

I'll have to look into markets, I've always just bought potatoes in the store. However I did look up on the meat and citric acid washes, and its illegal in the European union so at least I don't have to deal with that! That's when I saw the potato pattern more clearly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:41 pm 

If a corn derivative is used as a "processing aid" it doesn't have to appear on the label. For example, citric acid might be used during the processing (to keep the colour and freshness) and would not have to appear on the label.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:46 pm 

oh really? that is awful... this is what makes it hard for anyone to know if you are reacting to the actual substance if you have a corn allergy! its so incredibly frustrating. I don't really know how I will figure this one out..bottom line is - if I am reacting to the coconut flour, then I cant use it anyway, whatever reason the reaction might stem from. so in this case it doesn't matter too much luckily.

however i do want to be able to use potatoes...I only just started to love them after hating them for all my life!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:04 pm 

I used to think I was allergic to EVERYTHING. The thing to remember with a corn allergy is that there are safe foods out there but you will need to find them in their purest form.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:30 pm 

yes. its a journey. I've found some safe brands and I am sticking to them. I luckily found some canned tomatoes that seem safe, but other than that I really don't seem to do well on any canned food at all as they all have odd stuff added to them.

I'm still gonna try potatoes for a little while without the peel and by washing them more thoroughly next time - and hope for the best. My face did not itch all over this time (without the peel) so maybe there is hope after all.

Meanwhile I am hoping for a cure for allergies....surely someone must find one eventually! I am very nervous about my life at the moment because I do not want to be refrained from traveling and seeing more of the world.....I refuse to have it take over my life!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:00 pm 

I have a question and I didn't want to create another thread.

It's so incredibly obvious I have a coconut allergy now - since re-introducing after eliminating for two weeks. My sinuses swelled, my nose watered like a fountain, I got itchy and I've had hives that come and go for the last two days. It's horrible!

thing is I am not in the mood to go back to my doctor right now who will probably tell me to avoid it anyway, but I am wondering if it matters when you take the RAST? I have a scheduled visit in the middle of next year to "check up" on my allergies, and I'd prefer to wait til then and just take the RAST for coconut then (I like having a positive RAST because it can be good for future reference). I've left so much blood for RAST tests lately that I'd like a break from that. RAST tests will still show the same after eliminating an allergen, correct? I mean the IgE's are still in the blood, but I just want to make sure.

thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:12 pm 

well I took the RAST and lo and behold - it was negative!

He said that my hives and all of that was probably due to wheat contamination. I have broken out in hives from smelling pizza, and have when walking through the store aswell.

Now, this is a very confusing thing to me. My household is not wheat free, however, I do have my own pans and utensils for cooking. I also store my food in a seperate shelf. I try to not be in the kitchen when wheat is being cooked.

Now and again after eating I will get an uncomfortable swelling in my throat, which is sometimes followed by laboured breathing. I can breathe, but its like I can never get enough oxygen. I told my doctor about this over the phone and said I should take 8 cortizon in case I get a more serious reaction. and that I should call him for an epipen if it gets even worse.

I just find it very annoying to randomly break out in hives and for my throat to swell up. I am wondering if there is still contamination taking place and I don't realize it. maybe people aren't washing their hands before looking around in the fridge for veggies.. I certainly know people aren't immediately washing their hands after eating wheat. however, they do their best and I would think it was enough...

It does make sense because sometimes I just don't know why I broke out in hives, or why I am itching etc etc. But unless I ban wheat from this house (and I just can't do that because I don't think its fair) maybe this will keep going.... this is very confusing. I'm trying to look into if its another allergy but maybe its contamination after all.