You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:34 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Hope this helps
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 12:20 am 

Well, only the pink erasers are the problem. They are the ones made of actually latex rubber. Encourage your teacher to get the kids to use white erasers (vinyl, yay!).

Unfortunately, balls are the worst for being latex rubber. Those lovely utility balls, that all the schools have, are latex. Trust me, I'm allergic and work in child care. A nightmare I tell you.

When teachers are aware that it's an anaphylaxis reaction they are usually really helpful about these things. It scares them to death. Don't be afraid to ask. And if u live in Ontario (Canada), it's now the law, as of today. Yay!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 8:27 am 

So now I know why my son's school doesn't have those pink erasers anymore. :D (He's not allergic to latex, but they've tried to lessen the risks for all major allergens.)

Post subject: latex sensitivity
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:22 am 

I found the first two posts interesting abot pink erasers and balls. I was wondering if anyone else had ever had small blisters on the inside of their lips after having their teeth cleaned. We suspect it was from the latex gloves the destist used, so now he doesn't use latex ones.....just curious as I hadn't ever heard of it before and I actually had to endure this twice before I allowed myself not to think it was from another cause. Regards-quacker10

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:20 am 

Wow that's really interesting. Good that he switched away from latex without being a jerk about it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:39 am 

My oldest son has a latex allergy (mild reactions so far).

Our dentist office asks all new patients if they have a latex allergy. When we started seeing this doctor, we didn't know about his allergy. After we found out, I told him to tell the dentist. He refused saying it's his problem, not the dentist's. I kept trying to convince him, but he wouldn't. So, I did. (My son is an adult.) Turns out, the reason my son never had a reaction is that the dentist and some of the hygenists ALWAYS use non latex gloves because they are allergic to latex.

They also told my son off for not telling them. Said they'd rather deal with non-latex gloves rather then an anaphylactic patient.

Also, make sure you remind them of the allergy if they need to *drape* the inside of your mouth. I'm not sure what it's called, but, sometimes they put something inside when doing major work so nothing goes down your throat. You don't want that to be latex either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:08 pm 

AnnaMarie, or anyone else who knows--is a 'mild' latex allergy (contact dermatitis as opposed to anaphylactic shock) treated like a 'mild' nut allergy? i.e. can a 'mild' latex allergy turn severe without warning and are latex-allergic people supposed to carry epipens regardless of the severity of the allergy? one of my friends just told me that she gets a rash if she wears latex gloves. I'm not certain whether she carries an epi or not--I would guess not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:40 pm 

Lisa, I think it is like a *mild* nut allergy. You never know what's going to happen next time.

My son (22 years) does wear a medic-alert, but won't carry epi-pen. His reactions have not been serious, and he doesn't believe they ever will be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:19 pm 

I only get contact reactions and so far it hasn't gone any further, but I already carry Epipens, so if it takes a turn for the worst, I'm prepared. I first told my dentist's office that I had a mild latex reaction and they didn't make anything of it and kept forgetting to wear non-latex gloves and I kept telling them, and now they get it... they got it the day they saw my epipens! I should have not mentioned the word MILD...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:19 pm 

AnnaMarie and Mylene, Thanks--I'll mention this to my friend in case she doesn't know and wants to make an appointment with the allergist.

Last edited by Helen on Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:36 am 

some folks have a Type I natural rubber latex allergy (NRLA), which is an IgE reaction to the Hevea brasiliensis latex proteins--typical allergic reactions: eczema, hives, anaphylaxis. Some folks have a Type IV NRLA, which is a sensitivity to the chemicals used to create the latex emulsion, oxidize the substance, etc--the reaction is generally localized contact dermatitis.

And some of us are really lucky and have both types of reactions.

ygg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:08 am 

Thanks, ygg. Sounds like my friend has the latter type. I'm sure she'll be relieved!

Last edited by Helen on Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:48 pm 

ygg, does a skin (scratch) test differentiate between the two? Does a blood test?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:44 pm 

I think they may have RAST testing now, but I don't know. It would only be for Hevea brasiliensis latex protein, if so. I was diagnosed before the test existed and it was simple (and very, very obvious) observation on my allergist's part.

There is skin patch testing which can be done to test for the accelerants and other chemicals.

ygg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:28 pm 

Although my doctor has never tested me, he thinks that I am mildly allergic to laytex. Balloons don't bother me, but sometimes if I wear gloves for a while my hands get itchy. Also a few years ago, I had a few itchy experiences with condoms. Luckily, I've been with my husband since I was 16, so condom use was never really a huge issue for me. I tried a diaphragm which was itchy as well. My doctor just advised me to avoid all laytex birth control methods. Is there a good alternative for laytex allergic people who want to prevent STDs as well? I've heard of layering condoms, but I wondered if that would bother someone who is severly allergic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:15 am 

You should never layer condoms. This can lead to a much higher rate of breakage, rendering the condoms rather ineffective.

There are polyurethane condoms. In the US, there are two male polyurethane condoms brands: Trojan Supra (only comes with spermicide) and Durex Avanti (comes with or without spermicide). The female condom is also latex-free.

ygg