You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:07 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:56 am 
Site Admin

So, my little baker wants an easy bake oven for Christmas. She can bake any day she wants.

Part of me remembers having one and wants to get her one but part of me is concerned that she would be eating some day without supervision and the what if's start spiralling in my mind.

I had thought it was impossible but then I found this website for homemade easy bake oven recipes and now I wonder if a toaster oven/convection oven wouldn't be a good idea...
http://www.budget101.com/kids.htm#Easy_Bake_Mixes

I won't purchase one this year because the easy bake oven says ages 8 and up so I can leave it for at least one more year but what do you think? Is it foolhardy to let them have a foodie toy or does it help them to be more aware/responsible?

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:20 am 

wow - thank you for the website - I know my daughter would love one and I'm going to think about it this year because she is a careful 8 year old and enjoys helping me in the kitchen.
Personally I think it will help her learn kitchen skills she will need and give her confidence to be able to bake for herself in the future.
I think I'll be Christmas shopping tomorrow and look into that- thanks again for the website because the first cookie recipe I opened up didn't contain dairy or eggs.

daughter allergic to dairy,eggs,peanuts, soy, intolerance for potatoes, whole wheat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:42 pm 

I don't have any kids, so I don't have any advice about what is age appropriate. But I do think it is a good idea to encourage kids with multiple food allergies who like to cook and experiment with different recipes! They will sure need that skill when they get older.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:30 pm 

If I had a girl -- she'd have one.

I was given one used when I was a child. I never knew they sold mixes. I had a little recipe book and I followed the recipe and made all my cakes from scratch. It wasn't until I was an adult that I ever heard of a *cake mix*.

I say get it for her -- and don't make those mixes for her. Give her the recipe and let her measure and mix and make her own mistakes.

And here's a little secret.....if big brother keeps stealing those cakes before they get iced, use vinegar as the liquid. When he steals that cake -- it'll be the last one he ever steals. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:35 pm 
Site Admin

Just so you know, I've caved and she's getting one from Grandma this year!

I'm going to print her a cook book of some of the recipes from that website and I'll prepare a few packages to wrap so that she can use it right away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:59 pm 

Our daughter has an easy bake oven and even though she has no allergies I 've never been a fan of the pre-packaged easy back products. As long as recipes don't have egg (which we don't use now anyway) they cook properly. I've made home made pancake mix and bran muffins acutally cook almost into the consistency of an oatmeal cookie. I'll have to look up the website you found for recipes as I'm sure there are great ideas our daughter would love.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:14 pm 
Site Admin

Susan, she's gonna love it.

I'm a big fan of cooking skills for either gender – almost as soon as they can grip a fork and not hurt themselves. Makes for a healthier, more aware relationship with food. When you're not intimidated by cooking/baking, you're also more likely to do it by the time you hit university. Big time useful when dealing with allergies.

I started baking on my older sister's EB. We didn't have pre-mix either. Still have fond memories of mini cakes.

If you learn to enjoy making and taking, you will. And she/he who bakes shall be a hit with friends.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:17 pm 
Site Admin

I'll have to get around to posting her Chrismas cookie recipe Treasure Cookies.
It's a basic Spice Cookie with 1 cup of mixed candied peel in it. The colourful fruit bits are the treasures that you find while you eat it.

She has another Apple Crumb Cake but I didn't write down the recipe. Basicaly, she thinks up the ingredients and I figure out the quantities. It's quite the site, her grabbing items and me frantically thumbing through cookbooks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:01 am 
Site Admin

Move over Martha, there's a new generation coming. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:30 am 

Glad you said either gender Gwen.

My grandson (no allergies) wants a cupcake maker this Christmas. He asked me for shoes, books he can read himself, and a cupcake maker. I checked with his parents and they said it was OK -- so that's what he's getting. They cook in the microwave.

fyi, there is a peanut warning on the packages.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:16 am 
Site Admin

Well, she was thrilled! Even with the flu she managed to whip up a deep dish pizza!

We left the original mixes with Grandma-she'll make them with my neice (3) in the toaster oven some time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:44 pm 
Site Admin

Oh good to hear. (Though too bad about the flu.)

Her interest in 'whipping up' stuff sounds like an artsy-craftsy bent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:24 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, I'm very lucky.
She's recovered from the flu and is ready to start baking for our New Years Eve Party!

:D