You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:17 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:38 pm 

I saw the kits today and there is still and nut warning on the package!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:09 am 
Site Admin

Bumping and asking .... Is anyone seeing any that are nut-free?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:26 pm 

Nadia, If it helps I have used Crosby's Molasses for baking brown bread and I feed it to our son without incident. Cross my fingers but it seems to be Ok.

If anyone is looking for candy for decorating gingerbread houses etc. I've seen jelly beans, ju-jubs etc. at superstore. They are the superstore brand and are marked with the peanut free symbo. I found these packages hung on pegs on the candy wall.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:03 pm 
Site Admin

OK, I'm heading to the Great Canadian Super Store later today, I'll take a look.
Thanks!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:10 pm 
Site Admin

I didn't see those at the Kanata Super Store...they did have the Orbits Gingerbread kits (contains wheat, soy, milk and egg also may contain peanuts and tree nuts) and Create-A-Treat Gingerbread Kit (contains wheat, soy and suphites also may contain peanuts and tree nuts).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:22 am 

Last year I bought the Orbit brand at Soeby's and it actually stated on the package that it was peanut/nut free. So I was quite surprised going back this year to purchase another one and now it states the may contain label. My sister-in-law mentioned that she saw a Nickelodeon one at Pharma Plus, they had a Dora one and a Spongebob one. She said that there were no warnings on it. There was no phone number on the box, or else she would have called while at the store so she didn't buy it but she thought she could do some research under the name on the internet but I tried looking it up on the internet and so has she with no luck. I'm planning on going back and taking a look. If I find anything I'll post here.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:50 pm 

I saw packaged gingerbread house and men at bulk barn....labelled as nut free. I haven't called to double check yet. I would never buy bulk but these are wrapped

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:50 pm 

I was in superstore today and wrote down the upc's of the peanut free candy so hopefully you will be able to have your superstore order them in. They are all in the yellow packages (pegged onto the candy wall) " No-Name" superstore brand. Each package listed below has a large peanut free symbol on the front of the package.

$1.29 no-name ju jubes, 250 g -- 0 60383 99048 0
$1.29 no-name a.b. gums 250 g -- 0 60383 99045 9
$1.29 no-name jelly beans, 240 g -- 0 60383 99047 3

no-name a.b. gums 500g -- 0 60383 99038 1
no-name ju jubes 500g -- 0 60383 99041 1
no-name a.b. gums 1 kg -- 0 60383 99043 5

Hope this helps.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Post subject: Re: Gingerbread house
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:38 am 

I found a milk, egg and nut free gingerbread kit today at Foodland! It is made by Orbit Cookie - www.naftafoods.com They have some kits which contain milk and egg but this kit which is a house kit does not. I phoned the company and it is completely nut free and they go through a cleaning process prior to making items that are milk and egg free. It only cost $4.99 and it is a good size. Each of my kids could make one. My kids will be very pleased!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:15 pm 
Site Admin

bump

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:23 pm 

I found the same Orbit cookie gingerbread houses at Foodland today. In the allergen statement on the packages, the company only lists soy and wheat. They had gingerbread trains and gingerbread Christmas trees as well which were milk, egg and nut free.

The same company had other gingerbread packages which did list milk and eggs in their allergen statement. I will contact the company again to see how they manage cross contamination. Each kit was only $6.99.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:05 am 

I picked up a gingerbread house mold at Michael' craft store today. It has impressions for walls doors trees, a shingled roof. It can be made up with gingerbread dough or you can pour melted chocolate into the mold to make a chocolate house. It is made by Witon. Looking forward to using this.

The last gingerbread house I made was formed by placing parchment paper over the rolled out dough and cutting around a printed out template. I also used a vegan royal icing recipe. This one held quite well. It was 4 cups of icing sugar, 1/2 tsp cream of tatar and warm water.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:34 pm 

I didn't read all replies to this post as it is epic but I just wanted to share my super cool find...

Last week I found gingerbread house cookie cutters that cut out the shapes of side walls, end walls and roof. It looks so much easier than a mold to me as the removing step of making a house in a mold scares me away from it. I bought it at Michael's craft store in Kanata, Ottawa and it was around $14. I can't wait to try it out!

Also, for those who are looking for egg free icing agents my husband's family has always used caramelized sugar to glue the house together.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:17 am 
Site Admin

Great! Eggless royal icing can be purchased at the Bulk Barn (it's a prepackaged powder). I would just suggest a non-allergic individual do the shopping as I am always concerned about the airborne allergens in these stores!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:35 pm 
Site Admin

I was at the Bulk Barn and they have prepackaged gingerbread houses (just the cookie part-assembly required) for $3.99. They state they are peanut-free!

I couldn't make out the company name (because it wasn't listed :roll: ) but it was made specifically for the Bulk Barn so I'm firing off an email to them!

They also had pre-made icing also peanut free!

***I am not recomending that individuals with food allergies consume anything from the bins! I personally feel that pre-packaged items should be safe if the packaging is not broken***

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next